A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Green Off! Seventh Generation vs. The Honest Co. Diapers and Wipes


Our family is trying to get healthier and make more natural buying choices.  It's a process, and at times it's pretty overwhelming.  It's so much easier to just buy the familiar.  I thought I might share some of my findings, in the hopes that they help someone else.  


I started with diapers and wipes.  I'm comparing just 2 brands at first, to see which I prefer.  In this picture Luke is wearing a Seventh Generation diaper.  


And here's some sample diapers from The Honest Company.

How did they compare?  

Seventh Generation diapers are brown.  Brianna saw one and said it looked like a recycled napkin.  You know the napkins at Taco Bell, made from recycled paper?  Same color.  
The Honest Co. lets you choose your own prints, and they have a decent selection for both boys and girls.  I'm tired of the cartoon characters from the big brands.  Let's be real about who is looking at these and make MOM-friendly prints.  I like the skulls and the flower print from The Honest Co. best.  They also have plain white.  In appearance, The Honest Co. wins.

Performance wise, I thought the acid test would be overnight use on Luke, my super soaker.  Both brands did just fine used at night on both babies.  However, I had a Seventh Generation diaper on Luke when we were on our way home from Santa Rosa last month, and after less than 2 hours in the carseat, he soaked through it.  Bummer.  Looks like The Honest Co. wins again.

When it comes to cost, it's hard to determine, exactly, because of the way The Honest Co. "bundles" their products.  But here's my best guesstimate:  

You can get 135 size 4 Seventh Generation diapers on Diapers.com for $48.59, making the cost per dipe 36 cents.  

The Honest Co. sends you 186 size 4 diapers and 288 wipes for $79.95, so it's not as easy to break down the cost per dipe.  

But if you add up 288 Seventh Generation wipes at 6.something cents per wipe, you get $17.95 in wipes.
If you assume the cost per wipe for The Honest Co is also 6.something cents per wipe, and subtract that $17.95 from the $79.95 bundle price, your price per diaper becomes 33 cents each.

Now you can jumble the numbers by purchasing your wipes by the case, or by using Seventh Generation coupons, or special Amazon promotion codes.  It will probably break down slightly different for different retailers.  But the gist of all this math is:  They're comparable in cost.  Which surprised me.  I assumed that a mail delivery exclusive diaper would be more expensive.  It's not.  

In summary, as far as diapers go, I'm liking The Honest Company for diapers.  


Let's look at diaper wipes.  I got a sample of Seventh Generation diaper wipes, and when I used it, I was in the midst of plowing through a pack of awful, slimy, generic drug store wipes that had been given to me.  Not to sound like too much of a snob, but I'm more of a big brands wipe kind of mom.  I have been changing diapers for 22 years straight, and I'm pretty darn good at it.  I can usually do all but the most gruesome poopy diaper using only one wipe.  But let's make it a GOOD wipe, okay?  

As I said, the wipes I'd been using were icky, and left a residue on my fingers that I couldn't wait to wash off every time I changed a diaper.  When I opened the sample and used the first one, I thought, "I really like these!"  

I was working my way through a pack of Seventh Generation wipes, and was quite happy with them, when my The Honest Co. samples arrived, and I got to try out both side by side.  


Cuteness factor:  Seventh Generation wins.  Duckies and leaves trump plain any day.


They're both nice in terms of thickness, but I noticed the Seventh Generation wipes were, well, 


I guess you could say they were juicier.  More moist?  Whatever.  You get the idea.  

Again, you can't really compare apples to apples with regard to the cost of the wipes.  But they're both pleasant in scent (not STINKY like some wipes!) and they're both effective at getting the job done.  I just like the Seventh Generation wipes better.  

So far, I like both companies for different products.  

Now, let's factor in convenience.  If you work outside the home, you might not want your diapers delivered to your house while you're gone all day.  Or you might decide that one less errand is a bonus worth taking a chance.  The Honest Co. diapers are ONLY available by mail, wheras you can order Seventh Generation diapers from various online retailers OR pick them up at Target or Toys R Us.  

Since we use cloth diapers about half the time, having a box of diapers show up once a month provides us more than enough for our two toddlers in diapers.  You can adjust your delivery schedule to get the right amount for you.  And you can get a sample pack of 7 diapers and 10 wipes for $5.95 to try them out and see if you like them.  
Stylish Honest Bottoms



Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!  

Thanks for clicking for us!






use code: GRTL0203
Buy Baby Items at Diapers.com
New customers to Diapers.com, Casa.com or other Quidsi sites only. $20 maximum discount. Subject to change or cancellation.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for comparing brands! What kind of cloth diapers do you recommend? Any tips on cloth diapering to make it more convenient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a post on Cloth Diapering in August: http://grtlyblesd.blogspot.com/2013/08/cloth-diaper-stash.html :)

      Delete
  2. They actually sell Honest Company products at Target and I alot of the time the will price match to the add to a bundle price. I do it if I am in between bundles. Normally I can make it about a month and a half on a single bundle depending on how much my LO goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when this post was written, Honest stuff only came by mail. I remember being so excited when it came out at Target. But the reality for me is, I don't "run out." I regularly adjust the date of our next shipment to meet our needs.

      Honest dipes started being not quite enough for overnight for our special needs 4.5 year old, so we were getting a pack of 7th Generation overnights each month before Honest Co came out with their new overnights. I just got a pack, and am looking forward to trying them out. I'm still a sucker for the cuter prints of Honest Co over the plain brown of Seventh Generation. ;)

      Delete