A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Another Week That Turned Into Two


Blogging seems to have taken a back seat these days.  Here are some highlights from the last 2 weeks.


When Brayden was here, he colored this picture to send to Sam.  Which I did, right before the last day to send letters.



We ended up finishing our super cool Jello rainbow cups after St. Patrick's Day, but the kids didn't care one bit!  I used Katie's light table to back light them so you could see how pretty they turned out.


They were beautiful and yummy!  We had fun making them, and now I'm in the mood for Jello.  I go months and months without remembering it exists, and then I wind up thinking, "Why don't we buy this more often??  It's yummy!"


Gotta love it when making paper airplanes counts as science!


They did a few runs tossing them from upstairs, and then...


They learned how to use a rubber band to launch their planes farther and faster!


This activity actually inspired Katie to make bunches of paper airplanes over the next several days.


These aromatic shower melts were a spectacular pin flop.


They looked great popping out of the silicone molds, after being frozen overnight, but they melted into slime at room temperature.  We played with the slime for a while, but I was bummed not to have shower melts out of the deal.


I got some of the kids t-shirts for Sam's upcoming graduation.


Miss Katie has been counting "all the way to one hundred!" lately.


We had an appointment at Shriners.


Both girls needed their prosthetics lengthened 1/4".  Both girls have grown an inch and a half overall since their September visit.


Sometimes, we stop at the donut shop after we drop the big kids off at school in the morning.


Especially if Josiah is driving.


Hannah and Katie have been watching American Girl movies via Amazon Prime.  This one was Ivy, the Chinese American girl.


If you missed it, we're hosting a GIVEAWAY for My Painting Party from Choose Friendship!


In addition to the anchor picture that Brianna did in the link above, Jack and Hannah have started on the beginner level, with these cupcake paintings.


There was a lot of empty space in the finished paintings, so we decided to add words to them.


Our current read aloud story is a mystery about the California Missions.  It's a book I had Annaliese read when she did Ca Hist years and years ago, so I have the teacher's guide that goes along with it.


One of the suggested activities in the teacher's guide is making Ojos de Dios, or God's Eyes.


I made one the night before as an example, and the kids wrapped yarn while I read our story.


I wasn't sure Katie would be able to do it, but she did!


Guess what we got out this week??  That's a cell phone picture through the microscope.  I don't even remember what we're looking at here.


The kids have been having a fabulous time with our microscope and a couple sets of prepared slides.


I feel like a very bad homeschooling mom when I admit that we've owned this thing for years, but we never get it out of the box.


I have to be careful where I leave my phone.


When I set it down, mysterious selfies appear on it.


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

4 comments:

  1. What a great two weeks. Too bad about the shower melts. They looked awesome. The jello cups are gorgeous.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Pinterest, you win some, you loose some. :shrug: They did look amazing when they came out of the molds. I originally bought those silly things to make pretty cookies (trying to get out of doing actual mooncakes, which are nasty) but, duh, the shape melts in the oven. Maybe someday I'll use them to try glycerin soap making.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I'm so glad you reminded me about the microscope! I have one, too, but have never gotten it out to show my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we have all these great homeschool supplies that we don't actually use? I told my husband once, "I think when I buy this stuff, I'm buying the *idea* that we'll all gather round and ___________ play this game/use this microscope/do this project/whatever, and it will be wonderful." Reality... well... not so much.

      Delete