A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, August 2, 2019

Missiles and More Museum & Topsail Beach


I saw a brochure for the Missiles and More Museum and thought, "Okay, that sounds like something my boys would think is cool.  I should try to go there while I'm here."  But I actually stumbled upon the building when I was aiming for something else.  I was on my way to the beach that a friend of a friend recommended to me.  I found ocean, then I found public parking, and when I got out of the car, I looked across the street and saw the sign for the museum. 


Obviously the beach would have to wait while I went in and wandered around a bit. 

Eli has long had a fascination with aircraft, so the pictures I took were mainly for him. 

The Missiles and More Museum is a small but interesting record of military and pirate history in the area.  The docents are friendly, and there's a small "gift shop" area for souvenirs. 


I got to see Ospreys flying, which was a treat.  When I was near the airbase, they were really low and looked huge. 


I was looking forward to getting to the beach, so I took this picture to read more about the Osprey at home. 


How would you like to be walking along the beach and stumble across a WWII era missile?? 


After the little museum, I walked over to the ocean.  I pulled my shoes off and walked barefoot in the sand, and it felt wonderful!  It's been over a year since my last visit to any beach. 


And, this was my first time at the Atlantic Ocean. 


I walked along, picking up shells for Hannah and Katie.  I used my shoe as my "bucket" for them.


I'm pretty sure Topsail Beach was one of my top three experiences in North Carolina. 

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a lovely day at the beach and saw a cool museum too.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about the ocean that takes the tension out of my shoulders and neck, you know? It reiterates that we're so small and the world is so big.

      Delete