A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, November 27, 2020

Our Thanksgiving Week


We managed a full week of homeschool this week.  Not because I'm a meanie, who made the kids homeschool Thanksgiving morning, but because we function better when we stick to a routine.  Besides, school has been mostly fun (or at least pleasant) lately.  


Although none of the far away kids were home for Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for a picture from Eli, who went spelunking recently.  


If I had to guess, he was probably watching a little moth flitter in the light, but it looked for all the world like he was trying to be spooky, and it made me laugh.  


Solar panels went on the roof this week.  The system isn't active until after inspection, but it's a step in the right direction.  


Katie's German shepherd drawing.  I got a book about cat breeds, and Hannah asked for a book about dogs, so I got a couple, including another "how to draw" book.  


Hannah's recent creations.


With the addition of Kenya, we've got quite the flag collection going.  Our "international pack" of flags came with one African flag.  Heavy eye roll.  


Katie, putting African flag stickers in her book.  


So, you remember the map of Germany that we put up?  With post-its noting the interesting places we learned about?  


Well, someone took that as a challenge, and proceeded to peel off as many post-its as he could.  So we took down the map this week.  Oh Grumman.  


We watched the Ethiopia episode of Most Dangerous Ways to School (on Amazon Prime).  I found myself very grateful for all the conveniences we take for granted.  It made me want to fund wells and shoes.  

The girls' camel pictures (from Art Projects For Kids, a free website) turned out really well!  


We did another lesson from the Home Art Studio second grade disc.  I really feel like most of these projects appeal to a wide range of ages.  These are the three porridge bowls from the Goldilocks story. 


We watched an elephant documentary on Disney + and learned a lot!  Actually, we've found quite a few related shows on Disney + for Africa.  I like the National Geographic section.  I'm just not crazy about animals getting eaten by other animals, or animals getting old and passing away.  I may have teared up a couple times this week watching.  


Grumman liked the part in Wild Congo where they showed all the bats fluttering.  Here, he seems to be saying, "I am lion, too," during African Cats.  


My homemade chicken noodle soup wasn't very soupy, despite 2 containers of chicken stock, but that was okay.  It was so good, we slurped it down anyway.  Lots of garlic, to ward off sniffle season.  


More books.  I feel like I may have missed a photo this week, because we usually bring in more than this.  

I've started reading more again.  It sort of goes in waves.  I read 80-something books last year, and was really "behind" this year, with no books at all logged for one calendar month.  I finished book 47 last night.  Which is not that impressive for me, but I'm okay with it, because I know that's a lot more than many people read in a year, and because I seem to be past the point where I find myself re-reading the same page over and over and having no idea what it says.  All that to say, I've begun adding books for myself to our hold list.  


Thanksgiving was quiet this year, with just 7 of us.  Nevertheless, we have much to be thankful for.  Health, jobs, and traditions, to name just a few.  This (admittedly kind of ugly) bread basket was my mom's, and I grew up with it making an appearance on her table for special occasions.  It was a wedding gift when my parents were married.  Even though it sports a couple of chips now that it lives in our house, I'm glad I can share it with my kids.  

I hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving.  

4 comments:

  1. Your cat is hilarious! I love all the learning you are doing. I am going to add the dangerous school show to my watch list. Our kids demanded to be schooled on Thanksgiving one year. My relatives were shocked. Homeschool is fun!
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grumman has truly added so much to our lives. I really missed cat companionship, as I grew up with cats. His antics are a bright spot during this time at home.

      Delete
  2. Some years I've needed the routine, too. This year I needed the kids outside at a park, and Sir Walter Scott complied. :)

    The girls' art is great! And your cat is hilarious! And you have no idea how badly we want solar panels, too, but we're hitting roadblocks as we do our research for our area. I hope yours work out beautifully!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The solar panel thing is thanks to the girls! It's quite a story. I'll be sure to share when the system is up and running and I actually believe it, lol.

      Delete