A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Field Trip: Jelly Belly Factory


Spring break gives me the chance to take some of the big kids with us on our excursions, which is nice.


Eli and Brianna came with Jack, Hannah, Katie and I on our visit to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield.


The older kids have been, of course, but Hannah and Katie had never been.  And we all had a great time!


See the panda picture?  It's made of jelly beans.  All throughout the tour areas, there are these magnificent pictures created from jelly beans.  They take weeks to make.


You can't take any pictures on the tour, due to rules about proprietary secrets.  So you'll have to make due with lots of pictures of the kids posed in front of various Jelly Belly vehicles.  


They've amassed quite a fleet.  Last time we were here, they had a VW Bug, but we didn't see it this time.


You have to wear hats on the tour.  Katie didn't mind, but Hannah was not pleased.  The look on her face cracks me up.


Brianna with her Mona Lisa expression.


Look familiar?  It's a famous Japanese painting.  Depicted in jelly beans.


And since I love tigers, I had to get a picture of this beautiful creature, too.

The tour has changed since the last time we were there.  It used to be a docent leading a group of about 20 people at a time, cracking jokes, explaining the process, and passing out samples at the various stages of production.

Now it's "self guided," meaning, they give you your hat, and you go upstairs on your own and wander through, looking through the windows and trying to listen to the videos on the monitors.  Large sections of the tour were completely blocked off, so instead of making a whole circle of the factory, you go about half way and then turn around and swim upstream, trying to get back out.  My friend had a double stroller, which made things challenging, since it was crowded.  Note to self:  spring break is when everybody wants to go out and have fun.


After the tour, we pulled out our picnic lunch (and the jelly bean samples!) and enjoyed the lovely spring weather while we ate.


Cheers!  I was teasing them about the headphones and said, "Make a teenager face!"  Notice the cloth napkin?  Bri made a sandwiches, and she figured out that she can get 4 sandwiches on sourdough rolls into a Tupperware cereal keeper, and she put a napkin between each one so we'd have "plates" to eat on.

After lunch, we went back in to visit the gift shop.  It was pretty crowded, but we managed to find some treasures to bring home.


My friend took this picture for me before we left.  Evidence that I really was there!


The next day, the kids wrote about our day in our field trip journal.  They were pretty excited about their souvenir t-shirts, too.  I'm already looking forward to our next adventure.


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

8 comments:

  1. What an Awesome field trip. I love all of the great pictures. My kids have never been on a factory tour that makes some kind of food. We are in Washington, D.C. right now visiting my sick father. We got to see the cherry blossoms this weekend.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't done much with food related trips, either. California Pizza Kitchen is a great field trip. And we've done a couple grocery store "behind the scenes" trips. I've heard the Kikkoman trip is good, but we haven't tried that one yet.

      Best wishes for your father. I'm sure he's enjoying your company. The cherry blossoms must be gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great trip! Those jelly bean pictures are amazing. I've seen a few on Pinterest but I bet they are awe inspiring in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see them manipulating each individual bean into place with pencils in the video. It's pretty amazing.

      They've been at this long enough that some of the characters are a little out dated. My kids didn't know who Joe Montana or Princess Di were, lol.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such a fun trip! I know my kiddos would enjoy a visit to the Jelly Belly Factory. We enjoy watching Unwrapped, so this would be like being in an episode. :)
    The jelly bean art is AWESOME!!
    Thanks for sharing with us at #MMBH!
    XOXO
    www.mrsaokaworkinprogress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Unwrapped, but if it's anything like Curiosity Quest, I bet my kids would like it, too.

      Delete
  4. Even if it is "self-guided" - still looks like fun! Too bad it wasn't complete though!

    Jen @fieldtripiowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids had fun regardless. I've been there enough times to know it could have been better. I guess we'll have to go back in the fall, after school starts and the crowds thin out again.

      Delete