A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Education at Our House


We're weird.  We even have a motto when it comes to schooling.  "Education is a year by year, child by child decision."  What this means is that we're not One Size Fits All homeschoolers.

I'm linking up with the 2017 Virtual Curriculum Fair.  This week, our topic is See How We Learn.

While I have been homeschooling for 19 years now, the number of students I've had has ranged from one or two to five and has never included all my children.

We sent our first child to school for K4 and K5 at a private Christian school.  When I brought him home for first grade, it felt like a grand experiment.  And it went well.  But when kids 3 and 4 were ready for K, we chose to send them to school, too.  Public school, because that's what we could afford at the time.

This made us weird in the eyes of the local homeschoolers and weird in the eyes of the school parents (and teachers).  Awesome.

We brought the boys home for first grade, and while we had our challenges from time to time, we managed to make it work.

As the kids started getting older, it became time to think about high school.  My husband wanted our oldest to go to private high school to be around other kids his own age.  It made sense.  We were young parents, and many of our friends' kids were younger than he was.  It just so happened that when Zach was a freshman, Brianna was a kindergartener.  So we sent them to school together at a local Christian K-12.

The following year, Brianna came home for first grade and Eli went to school for K.


A couple years later, we decided to put Josiah in Zach's school.

All that to say, we've done what works for us.  Most of the children have gone to classroom school for K.  3 (Annaliese, Jack, and Katie) have not.  Most of the kids have come home for first grade, one did not.  Most of the kids have homeschooled through 8th grade and done high school elsewhere, one did not.  One crazy year, we had 2 in private school, 2 at 2 different public schools, and 2 homeschooling--and a preschooler.


For last year and this year, these guys have been my "class" here at home.  The older kids are still in private high school.  We're talking about changing things next year, but one thing remains constant:  I'm grateful to have the freedom to choose the best fit for our family, each year, each child.


I invite you to see how my fellow bloggers learn in their homeschools (note: all posts will be live by noon EST, Jan. 2nd):

The Evolution of Our Homeschool by Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
Us-School Because We Are Us, Not Someone Else by Laura @ Four Little Penguins
It's All About the School by Michele @ Family, Faith and Fridays
Setting the Stage- the 2017 Virtual Curriculum Fair! by Lisa N. @ Golden Grasses
New Year, New Goals, New School! by Amanda H @ Hopkins Homeschool
Homeschooling - A Glimpse into How We Do it by Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
Spotlight on How We Learn in Our Homeschool by Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
Our Unique Eclectic Homeschool  by Jennifer @ A Glimpse of Our Life
How We Learn on the Go by Jacquelin @ A Stable Beginning
Home Education - 10 Ways We Make It Work by Lizzy @ Peaches At Home
Schedules, where would I be without them? by Kim @ Good Sweet Love
Education at Our House by Shecki @ Greatly Blessed
Starting the Day Well by Sarah @ Delivering Grace
Making a Change - Accountability and Responsibility Through Routine by Lori H @ At Home: where life happens
A time to be encouraged is coming.. the Virtual Curriculum Fair by Annette @ A Net in Time
Loving the Moment! by Jen K @ A Peace of Mind
Keeping Our Homeschool Organized by Christy @ Unexpected Homeschool
Homeschool Goal Setting – Looking Forward, Looking Back by Kristen @ Sunrise to Sunset
How We Choose Curriculum by Brittney @ Mom's Heart
This Is How We Homeschool by Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break
How we don't learn in our homeschool & how I don't plan {2017 Virtual Homeschool Curriculum Fair} by Meghan @ Quiet in the Chaos
Learning Our Way by Lisa @ McClanahan 7
Limping Along: Our Semi-Eclectic Approach to Homeschooling by Debra @Footprints in the Butter
2017 Virtual Curriculum Fair: See How We Learn by Dana L @ Luv'N Lambert Life
Come visit the linkup and see how other families learn!
An InLinkz Link-up


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

20 comments:

  1. I really respect your decision to evaluate each child's education needs. I think all homeschoolers should do this.

    Btw, how is Luke doing? Is his adoption final?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing well! We sent Christmas gifts, and got a new video from his mama. He looks good.

      They have one more appointment in January before they can set a court date for finalization. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  2. I love how you personalize education year by year for each child's needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Josiah and Sam, 18 months apart in age and worlds apart in personality, taught me early on that each of my kids is different and has different needs. I'm glad we're in a position to be able to meet those needs one by one, instead of as a herd.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! Every child is unique and everyone should have the right to a unique education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And each of most of the kids have thrived in whatever educational situation we've chosen. Kids are resilient and eager to learn.

      Delete
  4. :) I love the freedom to choose what is best for each family and even each child!
    I come from a big family (the youngest of seven) so I admire your dedication to treat each child as an individual and not just one of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I love how you have individualized and fit the educational goals for each child. It is so great that you have access to a good private school that is an option for you. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's the heart of a homeschooler--the belief that learning is not "one size fits all."

      Delete
  6. I don't think it's weird at all that you've followed different paths for different children. I think it's weird that the norm seems to be to expect individuals to all take the same path. ;)

    Thank you for joining the VCF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? But we're so ingrained with the idea that everybody does the same thing... probably because we went to school, lol.

      Delete
  7. Weird in the eyes of everyone! I understand that completely. You are an amazing mom! The freedom to choose what is best for each child is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finally embraced it. I'm weird because we have lots of kids, weird for adopting, weird weird weird. :) It saves me the trouble of trying to act normal. ;)

      Delete
  8. I love how you can make a decision on homeschooling based on what is BEST for each individual child! It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best for the child, best for the family. A lot of years, we had a new baby/toddler in the house, so that was factored into the decision. "How much can Mom handle?"

      Delete
  9. I think it's fabulous that you are comfortable being "weird" when it comes to choosing what is BEST for each of your children as individuals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the older I get, the less I care about what other people might be thinking about me.

      Delete
  10. I'm so out of it when it comes to connecting to other homeschooling families. I'm accepting that that's life with 4 kids with disabilities, so seeing all these links to read is such a blessing to me. I've only managed to get through the first one so far and it reassures me that I'm finally doing homeschool right for us. Perhaps in the near future, I'll have time to join and link up, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all take a while to find what works best for us. And my experience has been that what works best changes over time as the makeup of your family changes, too. Our homeschool now looks totally different than our homeschool of 10 years ago.

      Delete