A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Our Week - With A Farewell


I now have children on 3 continents again.  It's neat to watch the kids grow up and do things, but it's hard having them in 4 time zones.  


I'm super grateful that Eli was able to visit before going overseas.  In these crazy times, that's not a given any more.  


I used one of the pictures from Eli's visit to make a keychain for Miss Adorable on my Cricut.  


One of the unexpected benefits of requesting a bunch of books and having them arrive at different times is that it gives the girls a chance to review topics we've covered earlier.  We've currently got books on the United States, Mexico, Canada, and Brazil.  


Brianna let me take some pictures the other day to update her 8x10 on the wall.  I like this one best, but I am not sure which one she'll pick.  Have to crop out the trash can before ordering.  


Our Canada cake.  Katie and Josiah made the cake and frosted it.  I added the red decorative icing.  My "maple leaf" is a little... special, but it appears to have been edible.  


We've got a temporary reprieve from the smoke, so we were able to have cake outside one evening.  


Miss Adorable snapped a quick family picture for us.  Family pictures are a little sad for me, because there's always people missing.  Missing Zach, Heather, and Brayden.  Missing Annaliese.  Missing Sam.  


I love this picture.  I'm going to miss this boy so much over the next couple of years.  


The foster mews are on medication 4X/day right now.  Hopefully they'll be feeling more photogenic next week.  


The dreaded airport photo.  Fortunately, Eli had a long layover in Seattle, so he was able to see Annaliese while he was there.  


The day after Eli left, we spent some time at the park next to the library, drawing.  


I knew I was emotionally drained and would be cranky in the school room.  It felt good to get out in the sunshine again.  Yeah for flexibility!  


I even brought my colored pencils and a little sketchpad and drew a vague impression of this tree while we were there.  


Hannah's artwork


Katie did two takes.


And while we were there, we picked up more library books, of course.  

We've started learning about Brazil now.  I'm sad that the nearest Brazilian restaurant is closed due to COVID.  It would have been neat to have some authentic take out--especially since Paul will be replacing the kitchen faucet soon, so we may be without a sink for a day.  We do, however, have an Eat 2 Explore box for Brazil, so I'm looking forward to trying that.  

4 comments:

  1. That eat2explore cooking kit sounds great. I can't imagine having kids spread all over the world. You are a brave mama, especially in these extra hard times. I am glad you got a break from the smoke. Praying for all of you.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out it wasn't a very long break, as things are kicking up again in Napa and Sonoma counties. We're not currently in fire danger, but the air quality is back to orange. I'm glad things were fairly clear for most of Eli's visit, since he and Miss Adorable ate out a lot, and all restaurants here are outdoor only still.

      Delete
  2. I, too, am glad you got a break from the smoke. I'm just a step or two behind you when it comes to children spreading out. I feel the bittersweetness of it deeply. I pray for safety and many reunions for your widely spread family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to have everybody together at the same time, but I don't foresee it happening for a while. With 3 of the boys serving, it seems unlikely that we'll get them all in the same place again anytime soon. I'm grateful I got a picture of all 5 boys at Christmas. I think my last picture of just all 4 girls together might have been 2013. Yikes.

      On the one hand, I miss the ones who aren't here. On the other, I get to really focus on the one who's visiting. Any visits we get are a blessing.

      Delete