A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Winchester Mystery House

We've returned from our summer road trip, and are getting ready for Back To School.  


Our first stop (after picking up Grammy) was Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.  


The house itself was crazy, and the grounds were beautiful.  My mom felt the city should have not allowed buildings over a certain height to be built right next to it, though.  Skyscraper hotels detract from the ambiance.  


There was a very friendly orange kitty.  


I'm so glad my mom came with us!  It was a once in a lifetime trip we'll remember fondly.  


Inside


This was Sarah's bedroom.  Our tour guide was... bland.  He recited memorized facts in a monotone.  I really felt like a fun guide would have made the experience better.  


Parts of the house are just strange.  


There was a very outdoors feeling to this upstairs room.  


Always have to take pictures of the sewing machines.  


Lath and plaster construction.  One would think I'd learned this from my dad, who was a carpenter, but I'm pretty sure I picked this up from Paul when he studied building construction.  You have to understand how things are put together to guess how they'll fall down.  


There were several stained glass windows.


It was an interesting place to visit.


I wouldn't mind going back to San Jose, as there are other things there I would like to see, such as the Egyptian Museum.  


And that was the first attraction on our 11 day, 1,900 mile summer road trip.  

4 comments:

  1. Whoo! 11 day road trip!

    I love that you found a kitty friend. :) I'm sorry about your bland tour guide. There should be a tour guide test or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitty was such a treat. My mom and I both missed our cats while we were gone.

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to see that house. It is on my bucket list. Sorry you got a boring tour guide.
    Blessings. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eli went with his girlfriend's family a few years ago. He thought it was pretty cool, so I was glad to get the chance to see it, too.

      Delete