A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Spring Break Road Trip - part 2

It's really time to clean photos off my phone.  Aside from there being 2,700+, it takes forever to find anything.  


This was taken at Harry & David.  The little souvenir boxes we're holding contain a chocolate and 2 cookies.  


Lunch out, visiting a friend I went to school with.


Covered bridge, pointing out local flora & fauna.


The alpaca ranch!




Even though it was raining, this was a fun outing.  The alpaca rancher was very knowledgeable and personable.  There's a small gift shop, with some lovely knitted and felted items made from alpaca fiber.  They also partner with a Peruvian co op, and I brought home a lovely shawl.  


Grammy's fan club


The hotel had a basketball court, and Katie was delighted to shoot some hoops one morning.


The science museum.  This was magnet play.


A giant book?  I might need to take a peek.  I read 2 books while we were gone, not counting this one.  


Swilling from a jeweled goblet in the storybook area.


Climbing wall outside the science museum


We all missed our cats so much we stopped at a local shelter to say hi to the Oregonian kitties.


"Seriously mom?  It's rainy!"  We stopped at a creamery and a couple of chocolate shops.  


Katie, rocking out with the statues.


Did I take a picture of the crosswalk painted with books outside the public library?  Yes.  Yes I did.  I also FaceTimed Jack to show me my bookcase at home so I could fill in the gaps from a series of books I have at home, while I was at a bookstore.  


Shakespeare night!  We saw Macbeth.  I had the girls read a junior version of it before the trip so they'd have the gist of the story going into it.  When we got to the theater, they had signs up for Jane Eyre coming this summer, and I sighed and wondered if I could drive back up to catch that.  (Probably not.  I wish it would come here, but looks like only Ashland and Dallas.)  


A bookstore called Bookmarks, with a sweet old Manx kitty, Callie.  


This book made us laugh.  "When you look like your passport photo, it's time to go home" right?  Actually we were having fun.  Lots and lots of fun.  


Eating and exploring and walking and learning and doing and reading and watching and being.  


This was the set for the play Clue.  


I've played the game, but I never watched the movie.  The play was hilarious, and we all enjoyed it very much.  Katie liked it better than Macbeth because it was funnier and easier to understand, language wise.  


On our way home, we did hit a bit of snow, but we weren't in it for long, and it wasn't enough to require chains.  Actually the scariest part of the drive was when it was pouring rain and a semi whooshed water at us as he passed us on a curve, and we were blinded for an instant.  

I'd hoped we could stop at Turtle Bay on the way home, but the weather was yucky, so it wouldn't have been worth it.  

We have 8 weeks of school left.  I'm looking forward to summer.  I'm planning to visit Annaliese in Northern Ireland.  

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say one thing, but then I caught your last sentence--Northern Ireland!?!?!? I visited Ireland waaaaay back in the 90s, and I fell in love with it. We did not enter Northern Ireland, but it can't be much different than the rest of the island, and it makes my heart ache the same way pictures of the CA beaches do (Redondo Beach is my hometown). May your trip this summer fill your heart with joy!

    Otherwise, your captions and pictures are so delightful! And I'm totally going to copy you by facetiming kids at home when I'm in a bookshop someday, so that I can buy the right books to fill out collections. :) The kids laugh at how many doubles (and even triples) we have of some books because I can't remember what we have vs what I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my "little" girl married an Irish man and moved to Belfast. I'm going to spend a few days with them, then take the train down to Dublin and do a group tour of Ireland. I'm super excited!

      I can relate to the beaches being your "feels like home" scenery. I grew up in Sonoma Valley. Rolling hills and vineyards, lupine & poppies... And we moved here to flat flat flat, strip malls & track houses as far as the eye can see. When I get into green hills, I breathe a little easier.

      Y'all need to swap our your duplicates at a Little Free Library or several)! There's an app, and we had such fun hunting for new ones on the trip, since we "know" all our local ones. There's such a variety of designs.

      Delete