A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Turtle Bay


Friday, I took the kids to Turtle Bay to meet up with family from out of state.


We'd been there once before, years ago.


But it was fun to go back.


This is my little sister, Amy, laying in Paul Bunyan's footprint.


It's funny.  As I anticipated seeing my step mom, I started thinking about the influence she's had on my life.  


See, my dad and step mom were the first real people I knew who adopted.


I was grown with children of my own, but I watched as they went through the process.


I'm sure I made more than my share of Dumb Comments, which Lisa was so gracious about.


I remember being pregnant (again) and thinking that adopting was "the easy way."  HA!


I was an idiot young, what can I say?


I also remember, after they adopted the boys, when they got a call asking if they wanted their new baby sister.


At the time, I absolutely did not understand how she could say no.


Now, I get it.  Sometimes saying NO is really just saying yes to what's best for your family.  


And that baby was adopted by another family in their church, so the boys still see their little sister.  All's well that end's well.


I am grateful to Lisa.


Both for being a good step mom to me
(who wants to be handed a resentful 15 year old to help parent?)


And for being an amazing example


Both in the practical


And the spiritual.


I'd like to be more like her when I grow up.  


God did a good thing when He brought her into my dad's life.


And mine.


And theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment