A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Pre K With Katie


I'm finding that I miss my monthly "Katie's Tot Trays" posts, so here's some pictures of what Katie has been up to recently.

I just discovered that Katie misses the cutoff date for Kindergarten by mere days, so our plans for the girls for next school year will need to be re-thought.  I'm disappointed for her sake, because I know how much she wanted to go to school with Hannah.  I think she could have done it, too.  She's not writing her name yet, but she knows all the letters in it, in the correct order.  She's ready to learn.


This was our "Chinese New Year sensory tray."


It contains rice dyed yellow and scented with jade lemon oil, tiny goats for Year of the Goat, and Ancient Chinese coin replicas.


We worked on counting the coins and counting the goats in groups of 3.


Then I had her use the cheater chopsticks to transfer all the items from the tray into the bowl.


Then she played with the goats for a while, standing them up, and sorting them by color.


Another day, I had Katie do a similar activity, using tongs to transfer buttons from the rice tray to the bowl.


This was harder for her, as the tongs are stiffer than the chopsticks.


The adaptive scissors I ordered have arrived. Cutting is still a challenge for her. We need to work on that some more.


I just got the I Can Cut book from Fundanoodle, so we'll be trying that out next.


We recently had cause to find out if Hannah and Katie were capable of opening Acco rings or not.


While I usually talk about how very capable the girls are, despite their limb differences, it seems that Acco rings are one of those things that are best operated with two full hands.  We'll see whether they figure out a way to operate them as they get older and stronger, but for right now, that's one of the things they need help with.

I know it seems early to be thinking about next school year, but our schools are registering now.  We just enrolled Eli for his freshman year next year.  Sam, Bri, and Eli will all be in school together, which is nice.  We'll be discussing our options for Hannah and Katie.  Jack will continue homeschooling.

Photobucket


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

4 comments:

  1. It looks like your daughter is learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hard to know when I'm doing "enough" you know? On the one hand, I have a couple years of "gap time" to make up for, but on the other, play is so important in early childhood, too. I try to do little bits and keep things balanced.

      Delete
  2. I love the tray ideas Shecki! We do play trays/activity trays all the time... my youngest loves them (and often my oldest likes to get involved too).

    Love cutting on lines... sweet!

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! :) I see such amazing tray ideas on Pinterest, but I never have time to put them together. These are nice, since they're simple, and they work on Katie's fine motor skills.

      Delete