A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Our Science Fair Week

Science fair.  Is there an involved parent that doesn't quake a little when they hear those words?  I was going to report with glee that this is the first year we made it through science fair without tears, but one of the brothers made a snarky remark last night when Katie shared, "Mrs. L knew which one was mine without me even telling her!"  :sigh:  Maybe next year can be tear free?  One can only hope.  


My theme in the library this week was snow.  I talked about biographies, including Snowflake Bentley with the 6th graders.  So I had to try out a couple of snowflake crafts.  Instead of tracing with a marker, I traced with glue and added glitter.  I decided my 1st & 2nd graders would enjoy this.  


This is not a snowflake craft.  This is the first step in a lunar new year lantern.  That's our theme for next week.  Probably the next 2 weeks, since it's a long holiday.  


Ah, there's my other snowflake test craft.  Marshmallows & toothpicks.  

  

  


My 6th graders got pretty creative.  The goal seemed to be using the most marshmallows.  


One student attempted to recreate the Statue of Liberty.


I'm not loving the blue on blue letters or the white on white snowmen, but the irony is delicious.  


I'm pretty pleased with how this worked out.  It was "hard" for a few of them, but everyone was able to complete their tracing.  Good fine motor skills.


Students could choose from blue, pink, or silver glitter.  


I did find glitter on myself the day after we did this, and the library is a little more sparkly than usual, but I'm quite happy with this one project over all.  
 

Katie's science project


Hannah's science project


2 comments:

  1. Oh! I hope the next science fair is tear free, too. This year sounds like it was so close! Your crafts are all so fun! I'll bet your job is awesome . . . and I think a sparkly library is a perfectly lovely idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our custodian (who I really like) is Not Amused by the glitter projects. I guess I'll have to stick to paint and glue for a while, lol. I do have some glitter cardstock. Maybe I can Crikey up some glittery shamrocks without any mess.

      Delete