A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Very Hannah Day


Today Hannah and I went to Shriners to pick up her new leg.  

Her old leg "locked" in place at the knee while she walked, and she could pull a lever to bend it when she sat down.  

The new leg bends when she walks.  
Many kids would need physical therapy to adjust to the different kind of knee.

Not Hannah.  Hannah is amazing.

As if that wasn't enough, today was parent/teacher conferences.


This is not Hannah's teacher (who is out sick) but another K teacher doing her assessment.

She knows 25 out of 26 letters.
Not bad for someone who's only been exposed to English for 26 months.

She's still fairly "bottom of the heap" academically in her class.
Which is fine.

Teacher mentioned that she heard we were adopting again, and said, "It's so great that you do that."  I thought, "What?  Add to my family?  Funny, I don't remember anyone saying that when I got pregnant with the last 3 or 4 kids..."  

I also got the obligatory, "When I worked at [another school] there was a girl I tested who was adopted from Korea, and she came right up and sat in my lap!  She was the sweetest thing!"  --Meanwhile I'm thinking, "Red flag!  Attachment issues!"

It's easy for me to get frustrated when I'm helping Hannah with her homework over concepts that she Just Doesn't Get.  But it was good for me to see how patient this long time kindergarten teacher was with her.  It reinforces that we made the right decision in sending her to school this year.  She's made amazing progress, and it's always so neat to see her say something I had no idea that she knew.  

I think the misconception exists for homeschool moms that they have to be all things to all children.  Honestly, I'm not that great a kindergarten teacher.  
And that's okay, too.
By recognizing that in myself, and delegating the school teaching to someone else, Hannah is getting what she needs, and so are my other students.  





Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs  I so appreciate those who click to keep us on page 2!  Thank you!  We get a significant amount of site traffic from TMB, and I like to stay visible there.


No comments:

Post a Comment