A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Case of the Jewel Covered Cat Statues


We received a fun book recently!  The Case of the Jewel Covered Cat Statues, which is book 3 in Cindy Vincent's series of cat detective books for kids.  I gave the book to Eli to read first.  Eli is 13, and here's what he had to say about it:


I thought this book was pretty cool.  My favorite character was Bogey. I was surprised by him having cat treats stashed everywhere.  


I think the best part was when someone tried to break in and the cats turned on the lights and started flinging pots and pans onto the floor to make enough racket to scare away the burglar.  There was one part where I got bored with the story, and that's when they were sitting under the guard's chair at the museum.  

Spoiler alert:  The bad guy is Abe Abascal, the other antique store owner.  Don't be fooled by his kindness!  


After Eli finished the book, I picked it up.  Imagine a cross between Lillian Jackson Braun and Carole Marsh.  I read 89 pages in my first sitting.  Although not a focus of the story, as a parent, I appreciated the conversation between Gracie (a human) and her mom over the piano.  "Nobody does anything perfect at first.  But the more we practice, the better we get at something.  It just takes a little time."  Dealing with kids with perfectionist tendencies, I want to frame that quote!


I found it amusing that when I picked up this book, my cat came and curled up on my lap.

Another passage I appreciated was when young Buckley goes to see Miss Mokie, the elderly "Yoda" of the cat clan.  The take-away he learned from her is that sometimes humans think that stuff is more important than people, even their friends.  I liked how positive morals were woven into the story without being "in your face" about it.

Eli said he would read more books from this series, which is a pretty good endorsement from him.  You can see all of Cindy Vincent's books on Amazon.

As We Walk Along the Road


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

2 comments:

  1. How perfect that you snapped a picture of the book leaning against your cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so funny the way he just curled up on me whenever I picked that book up. :)

      Delete