A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Katie's Visit to Shriners Today

Our purpose was two fold today.  


First, we went upstairs, where Mr Rick, who is also Hannah's prosthetist, made a plaster mold of Katie's short leg so he can build her prosthetic lower leg and foot.  

We'll go back to see him in 2 weeks for a test fit of the socket.  


Then we went downstairs to the casting room, where I had my first experience with a Stryker saw.  I was impressed.  'Cuz it looks like one false move, and they'd be slicing right through my kid.  

Off with the purple cast, and on with a blue, sparkly one.  We go back next week to have that changed again.  (And the week after, and the week after...)  

My "filter" is broken.  I think it has to do with the fact that Luke takes 3-4 bottles a night, and Somebody has to give them to him.  That Somebody would be me.  

After the cast room, we needed to make the next 2 appointments.  Because, you know, my calendar actually had a couple blank days on it.  The booking chick does the oh-so-typical botch of Katie's name.  Seriously, folks, how hard is Katianna?  Cot-E-ah-nuh.  Not hard.  Last week, the doc called her Natalya.  I shrugged and said, "Close enough."  The cast tech snorted.  Katrina, which I really like, is another go-to for people who can't be bothered to READ it.  

Once the name was established, she couldn't find new casting orders.  Seems the doc didn't enter them after finishing with Katie, before going on to her next patient.  In a comedy of errors, we tried waiting for the system to refresh, checking with the doc's assistant, and finally going off to track down the doctor.  Eventually the orders were in.  The booking chick told me what a lousy computer system it was.  Appointment one got booked.  Then it got a little trickier.  I asked her to call N, who books for Mr Rick so we could coordinate two appointments back to back when we come in in two weeks.  This went well, until the computer crashed out and she had to start over.  Finally, I had 3 appointments for the next 2 weeks.  

The booking chick said, "There are orders for 3 weeks of casting.  We could do the next appointment now, if you want to make things easier."  Then we looked at each other and laughed.  She said, "Okay, maybe not easier."  And I confessed, "I was standing here thinking, FAIL!"  Fortunately, she laughed.  

Little Miss was Cranky with a capital C when she woke up from naps.  I was all offended at the way she wouldn't even look at me (thank you sleep deprivation) but Paul suggested that having her foot tweaked a bit might make her sore, and maybe instead of having a 'tude I could get her some Tylenol.  Only he was much more diplomatic about it.  Because I'm scary when I've been getting up every 2 hours at night for days on end.  


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!   Thanks for clicking for us!  You can vote once a day.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I'm sorry! That sleep deprivation thing is h.a.r.d.!! I'll pray for you and the kids. :-|

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so transparent, Sheky. I am in the same boat with the no sleep thing. Brutal.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete