A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Homeschool Weekly Wrap Up #14


'Tis the season to find Pfeffernusse at Trader Joe's. We discovered it's tastiness last year when we studied Germany. Our read aloud right now is Treasures of the Snow, which takes place in Switzerland, so these cookies went well with our story time.  


We are still working on memorizing The Ten Commandments and learning about Moses and the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt.   


During our story times, the kids often do something to keep their hands busy.  They may knit, or make paracord bracelets, or color, or play with a set of manipulatives.  I'm thinking about putting some Thinking Putty into stockings this year.  Seems like something they would enjoy messing with during our read aloud sessions.  


The weeks started off well for our butterflies,


But didn't end so well.  We lost 1 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday, and 1 on Thursday.  We're down to the very last one now.  


This week in Art we began learning about the color wheel.  


One of my students loves art and is talented in that area.  The other two, not so much.  But it's something we can all practice, and I like exposing them to things that make them stretch and grow.  


When we got to secondary colors, we birdwalked a bit, ending up playing with our clear blocks, after pairing up primary colored blocks and looking through them to see what secondary colors were created.  

During our ACE years, we really didn't do art, music, or creative writing, so I'm enjoying the additions.  Speaking of music, we finished The Story of Bach in Words and Music this week.  


In science, I challenged the kids to use a piece of string to pick up ice in a glass of water, without touching the ice.  


Eli managed to snag a cube by tying a knot.  Then I lay my piece of string on top of the ice, salted it, and waited a moment.  


The ice melted and refroze around the string, and I was able to lift the cube.  (I shudder to think what my kids will do the next time they're bored in a restaurant.)  


Speaking of busy hands, Brianna finished a butterfly latch hook kit this week.  


My crazy boy is licking the hot dog in his math book.  I think he's trying to tell me it's time for lunch.  


Another science project.  Dirty pennies.


Vinegar, salt, water, shake shake shake


Clean pennies!  

Thanks for stopping by!  Don't forget, we currently have FIVE great giveaways going on right now!  Take a moment to enter to win a DVD, a magazine subscription, makeup, a craft kit, and/or essential oils!  

Linking up with Great Peace Academy and:


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Whoops, sorry! ACE is Accelerated Christian Education (www.schooloftomorrow.com). It's a workbook style curriculum, originally designed for small church schools. We used it for over a decade.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! What made you decide to switch to MFW?

      Delete
    3. We were sick of it. It worked great for us when I was pregnant and nursing and chasing toddlers for a decade straight and needed something with NO PREP work. But what we're doing now is much more interactive, and I like that we're learning the same thing together, instead of each child doing their own workbooks all day without ever working on anything together.

      Delete
  2. We're using MFW for K and love it. I just haven't decided about using it for the upper grades, especially when there is a 4.5 year age group between my 1st and 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 4 years between Brianna and Jack, and it hasn't been a problem. I set expectations different for some thing, so they're working at their own level, but so much of it is age-free. Next year, I'm bringing Hannah home (90% sure, anyway!), and there are SIX years between Hannah and Eli (who will be the oldest homeschooling), but I think it will work.

      Delete
  3. Looks like so much fun this week. I love the experiment with the salted ice cube! I did not know you could clean pennies like that. See you taught me something too Shecki!
    Thanks for linking up "This Week" at Great Peace Academy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn new things every week. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete