A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

May/June Pre-K With Katie


Somehow, I missed doing my May Pre-K with Katie post.  It could be that we were too busy having fun!



Fun like going to the park.  (We'll call that PE, or "encouraging gross motor skills development.")


"Sticky blocks" continue to be a favorite with Katie (and Brayden, and Jack & Hannah.  They really are great toys).  I love that Katie calls the Tegu set sticky blocks.  She may not know the word for "magnet" yet, but she's learning how they work by figuring out what ways the blocks will and won't stick together.


Katie has a special fondness for buses, and enjoyed the coloring page we brought home from Big Truck Day.


With less than a full set of fingers, it's a struggle for Katie to hold a pencil and exert enough pressure to make legible and controlled markings.  However, she's smart enough to be learning her letters.  My temporary solution has been to let her use markers, which require no pressure, on her workbook pages.


However, I know she'll be needing to use pencil for some aspects of school work, so we're giving these adaptive pencils a try.


Fortunately, she does pretty well with these big, chunky crayons from 4 Knowledge 4 Fun.  She's enjoying working through I Can Do Fun Activities! from Fundanoodle.

There's a Letter Assessment pack FREE on Educents right now that I'm using to keep track of the letters Katie has mastered.  I like the page that has uppercase and lowercase letters in a mix, because you know the child isn't just rattling off the ABCs from memory.  Right now, she's got 27 of them, which is more than half!


More Tegu creations.  She brings interesting new designs to me all the time.


Another Fundanoodle page.  I was pretty impressed with her on this one.  The directions were to color all the Ws blue, but she ended up coloring other groups of letters other colors, too.  She was easily able to pick out all the Ks or Ts, etc.

You may notice that I was trying out a different hairstyle on her in the picture above.  It didn't quite work out.  I'm in a hairstyle rut with the girls, suggestions are welcome!

I'll probably do a June/July Pre-K with Katie post, since we tend to do less "school-y" stuff during the summertime around here.

Don't forget, I have a great detergent coupon for you, too!

This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

1 comment: