A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Honest, I wasn't TRYING to break last week's record of medical appointments!

A few days ago, I took a bunch of candid snapshots of the kids right after naptime.  

Well, 'after' for most of us.

Life was the usual summer routine.

Computer, books, games, snuggles...

Furby asked me last night, "Can I lay on you?"
This boy is a serious snuggle bug.

You know, just ordinary kid stuff going on.

Sam has started football practice.

And we did the annual "melt the mouth guard" thing.

By the end of the season, this thing will be so gnawed up.

Paul has been trying to get his pickup truck running again, in his spare time.  
Which there isn't a lot of.

Yesterday, he got it to start!
He then decided to put the lumber rack back on the back of it.  
This turned out to be a not so good thing.

Annaliese and I were at a follow up doctor's appointment when my cell phone started going off with Paul's ringtone.  I shushed it, apologizing to the doc.  

A little while later, I heard the text message alert tone.
So when we finally got out of the 2 hour appointment, I checked, and the text was from Paul.
"I need you to come straight home when you are done. I may have broken my shoulder."

Blink, blink.
I called him back.
He sounded like he was in pain.  
Ese and I rushed home, finding this: 

laying upside down where he left it after he crawled out from underneath it.
I left the teens at home, and the younger kids and I took him to the local emergency room.

Anyone who works in emergency medicine knows you don't want to hang out in an ER near the full moon.  I'm actually pretty happy he was only there for 6 hours.  It was quite busy.

He got some pain meds, then an xray.  Then we were sent back out to wait some more.  

Once somebody actually looked at the xray they sent him off for an MRI.
They could see what *wasn't* broken in the xray.  The MRI confirmed that what WAS broken was the scapula, or shoulder blade.  

So he's got a nice sling to keep his arm immobile while it starts to heal.
And he's going to be off work for a while.

Today, I took him in to his regular doctor (who he just saw FRIDAY for his adoption physical).
Dr. H sent a referral for him to see the orthopedic people 
and said he didn't want to see Paul again for at least 6 months.  ;)

So we should hear from the orthopedic department soon, and get him in to see what they think.
The ER doc said recovery would be 6-12 weeks, but Dr. H said it could be less than that.
I don't know if we're looking at physical therapy or not, yet.
Once he can drive (3 weeks or longer), he may be able to go back to work on Light Duty (meaning doing building inspections and such).
He's certainly in no condition to be donning 30# of gear and throwing a 22# air bottle on his back right now.  

In other news...  I took Eli to the orthodontist this morning, and 
He's Getting His Braces Off
in 6 weeks!

Not done with treatment, by a long shot, but still pretty exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment