A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Garage Sale 1

We've been in this house 11 months.  In April, we woke up one Saturday to find the neighborhood crawling with garage salers.  Come to find out, there's a huge neighborhood sale date every spring.  Cool.  File that away.

When we started talking about raising money for the adoption, I told Paul I'd have a garage sale in the spring, and ask friends to donate stuff to sell, in addition to our own stuff.

Two friends have already donated stuff.  Paul was, erm, less than thrilled? to be storing it for months in his garage.

Last night, Sam got back to the school from his "away" (I call them way way away) game after midnight.  We rolled home around 12:30 and stumbled to bed, only to get up to get him to football practice this morning.

Well, when we stepped out this morning, we discovered that the neighborhood garage sale thing?  Actually happens TWICE a year.  Yup.  Today.  So I dashed Sam to football and came back and dragged all the stored stuff out into the driveway.

This was the ultimate disorganized garage sale.  No pricing.  No neatly set up tables.  No clothing on hangars, organized by type.  We spread park blankets and a sleeping bag out on the "lawn" and dumped boxes/bags of clothing on them.  We had open boxes lining the sides of the driveway.

Shoppers were told, "Everything is FREE.  We are accepting donations towards our adoption, but if you find something you like, you're welcome to take it."

Brave, or lazy, I wasn't going to haggle.  I figured ANYTHING we made today was a bonus, since it was unexpected income.

Some people just nodded.  Some people said, "That's cool."  Some people asked about our adoption.  One woman handed me $3 for a children's book and said, "My grandkids are adopted."  Another woman told me that her nephew was adopted from China.  One guy handed me a couple dollar bills and all the change in his pocket.

Afterwards, we consolidated what was left and hauled it back into the garage.  While I was packing up, I found 2 things that Sassy Girl will be able to wear, yet another blessing!  4 or 5 trash bags worth of clothing/stuffed animals/dress up wear was gone.  And we had 5 empty boxes left over.   A TV, a freezer, a lawn mower, an unfinished dollhouse kit from my childhood, all gone.  This will make Paul happy.

When all was said and done, we earned $64 paper dollars and a fist full of change.  Not an amazing amount, but not bad for 5 hours of work.  Hopefully next time, with more prep time and more stuff to sell, we'll do better. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please click for us!

  Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

 Your click on the above link may help drive more traffic to my blog.  Which means more people who will see our Fundraisers Page and may make a purchase.  You can click once a day.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment