A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Our first week of school

I like to do a weekly wrap up post each week to share what we've been learning. My fear is that this year I'll be harder pressed to find blog worthy moments and photos because we are no longer learning about a different country every two weeks. But I'm sure I'll find something.


Our art curriculum this year is God & The History of Art Volumes I & II Set (includes 35 Paint Cards and 36 Postcards).  Our first project was drawing with our teeth!  I pulled up a YouTube video of Joni Erickson Tada drawing with her mouth, and then we gave it a shot. 



It was quite a challenge!  It made me thankful for my hands.  While I'm not a great artist by any stretch of the imagination, I draw better with my hands than with my teeth.  

One thing that flopped for us was Homeschool PE. 


I thought they'd enjoy it. I was wrong. Ah well, I guess I can't win 'em all.  

Our schedule has to stay flexible, as we had 3 appointments for the little kids this week. Katie got her prosthetic, Hannah saw the ophthalmologist, and Luke had his "not therapy" appointment.


This week, we learned about the days of Creation, dinosaurs, and we celebrated the Sabbath.  


We made a challah cover (Brianna's corner, prior to hemming), and Brianna made challah.  The boys helped me make the stew to go with it.  It was a lovely celebration, complete with readings and blessings, and candles, but I didn't take a single picture that night, sorry!  

    If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

5 comments:

  1. What program are you using? Are you still using MFW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this year is MFW Creation to the Greeks. :)

      Delete
  2. I will enjoy reading these since this is what we will be doing next year, gives me a little taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The art program looks interesting. I struggle to make sure the extras get into our week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to really have a hard time with "extras" when we used a workbook curriculum. Switching to MFW, there is art, music, etc built into the weekly plan, and I've discovered I really like it!

      Delete