A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Our Week - with a Birthday


Being Spring Break for the high schoolers, our routine was "off" a bit, but we still managed to get our schoolwork done.  We're working on a couple of exciting reviews right now, too, so stay tuned for those.


Brianna took advantage of the free time to work on some art.  These two are works in progress.


She created these neat backgrounds, and will add other things to them later.



This piece was done by Eli, using masking tape like we did several weeks ago.  We're really liking the liquid watercolors we've been playing with.


Jack painted these fruit trees with a bird flying over them.


Remember when the boys did Monet Bridges?  Well, I liked the techniques presented in the DVD for the water and the trees, and I wanted to try them.  I'd been putting it off, when the book Hidden Art was referenced in Sunday School.  My mother in law gave me that book years ago, and I was reminded that we are creative beings and it's good to embrace that.  So I got out a canvas and gave it a shot.  I don't like my bridge, but I do like the water and plant life.


Eli continues to enjoy creating new things with his K'nex.


I'm sure Star Wars fans will recognize his latest designs.


Just for fun, we did an Easter egg craft on wooden egg cutouts.


What do you mean Eli's egg isn't very Easter-y?


Eli saw Brianna and I painting canvases this week and asked if he could have one, too.  Of course you can!


This was what he came up with.  He decided he had to outline the tank in black because it's camo was so effective you couldn't really see it in the brush.  I'm pretty impressed, considering it was like pulling teeth to get him to even color last year.


Spring break means bored teenagers.  Decided to take them to homeschool skate day.  This was Sam's first time "on" roller skates.


Somebody had a birthday!  Jack Jack is 11 now!


He got a Lego Star Wars set that he and Eli have been playing with ever since.


And a new Lego Movie Wii game.  Just a little excited.


Paul made his cake.  It's quite yummy!

I was really surprised that we finished all of our schoolwork this week, despite the teens being home.  We learned about African history, including the empires of Mali, Ghana, and Songhay.  Next week, we're moving on to India, and then Columbus!

We have 7 more weeks of curriculum left, which means we should be done with our base studies a little before the end of the high schoolers' school year.  That will give us a chance to finish up some fun things, like science kits and other enrichments that we sometimes put off to get the basics done.  I really enjoy learning with my boys and all the fun we have together, but it will be nice to have summer break, too.  I'm hoping to do some serious reorganizing in the school room this summer, and set it up in a way that will be more conducive to my 3 students next year.

Linking up with Home to 4 Kiddos and:

For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

2 comments:

  1. What fun art projects! Happy Birthday to your son, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! It was so cute, I went in to wake him up in the morning, and he said, "I'm 11! I'm 11! I'm 11!" before even getting both eyes open, LOL

      Delete