A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Castle Air Museum - part 1

When I had the girls make a list of places they'd like to see for our Epic Fantasy Road Trip, Hannah included Castle Air Museum in Atwater.  I read that and was like, "Wait, there's another air museum within day trip distance??"  I knew Jack needed to see it.  So we went.  


Former Air Force One


These first two planes were on one side of the parking lot, so we had to look at those before we even went inside.  



There's a little gift shop you go through where you pay to get out to the full petting zoo of aircraft.


And from here, it's going to be a photo dump.  Because although Jack told me, I have no idea what any of these are.  






Pretty sure this one is British.  There's also a Canadian one somewhere.  


Wait, I know this one.  It's a Chinook.  



Invasion stripes.  Particularly poignant to me, after having been in Normandy last summer.  


We spent 4 hours at the museum, most of it out in the sun, watching Jack look at airplanes.  Katie melted a bit, in her black t-shirt, but Hannah did better than I would have expected.  We did start sheltering under large wings to get some shade as the day heated up.  





This was my absolute favorite.  See that plane?  


Look closely at the wheel brace.  

I cracked up.  Someone has a beautiful sense of humor.  



I know what this is!  It's a Grumman!


No, not a cat, a Grumman Albatross.



More to come, I just felt it was way too many photos for one post.  

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, at the very first, I thought this post was going to be about a castle . . . it took me a minute to get it! :)

    And, "the full petting zoo of aircraft" . . . LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm craving a visit to a castle. If not in Europe, hopefully we'll make it to Hearst Castle this summer. But someday, I want to see Windsor.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to go and see it.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. Honestly, the best part for me was how much Jack enjoyed it.

      Delete