A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Oops



Tummy time just became nap time. 

We've been having a little Tummy Time each day.  If you could hear me humming, it would be, "Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start..." from Sound of Music.  

See, here is where having had a bunch of newborns comes in handy.  I remember the developmental stages they go through.  


If you look at the angle of his head to the bed, you'll see it's less than 90*.  You'll also notice that he's up on his elbows, not his hands.  So those are goals to work on.  


Here, I managed to catch him with his head briefly up at 90*.  This is good, and we'll work on getting him to hold that for longer periods of time.  He's not picking his chest up at all yet.  


When it comes to sitting up, he can do it, but he's not crazy about it.  We've had words over whether he has to do it or not.  Okay, so they were all MY words, but as you can see from the picture, we worked out a deal.  


At least for a moment.  :P  


Notice our Chinese Huggies?  Yesterday afternoon, our guide brought back the finished paperwork we'll need when we get to Guangzhou.  She then took us for a walk to the grocery store.  

The grocery store was fun, and I'm wishing I'd have managed some pictures, but there's the whole push the stroller, carry the bag thing going still.  I think if we hit the pool later, I'm going to take my little camera.  Two reasons, really.  I'm not at all comfortable taking Paul's big camera around water, or slippery floors.  And if I have the little one in a pocket, it's easily accessible, instead of needing to fish in a bag for it.  

At any rate, the grocery store is 2 floors, and the escalators are long flat moving ramps that magnetize the carts to the floor so you don't have horrific accidents, lol.  It was pretty wild.  So we get in there, and my guide asks what I need.  "Diapers, powered baby milk, and CHOCOLATE.  Oh, and maybe a couple noodle bowls for the room."  

As a side note, I'm not eating nearly as well in this province as I did in Hannah's.  Breakfasts are buffet style, here in the hotel, lunches are out of my snack bag (REALLY glad I brought snacks), and dinners?  Well, dinner on Gotcha Day, I had to wait until Luke stopped screaming and fell asleep to call room service.  By the time my club sandwich arrived, I was exhausted and only ate half of it.  Last night's dinner was the guide walking me through McDonalds on the way back to the hotel from the grocery store.  So, the only Chinese food I've had here is the noodles and potstickers at the breakfast buffet.  Disappointing.  But this afternoon, we're supposed to walk to People's Park and have dinner out, so I have high hopes for that.  

And how is Luke eating?  Well, surprisingly, he doesn't eat all that much.  I brought Gerber banana puffs with me, and if I stick one in his mouth, it disappears, but he doesn't seek out more of them.  This morning at breakfast, they had an O cereal about the size of Fruit Loops, but more like Honey Nut Cheerios.  I put a few on Luke's plate to try.  I stuck one in his mouth.  He eventually consumed it, but he pretty much just held it until the passing parade of congee melted it for him, I think.  A piece of cantaloupe came back out after holding it for a while.  So chewing is going to be an issue.  Also, I tried putting a piece of cereal on his tray, wanting to check for pincer grasp.  No luck there.  He could see it.  And he even poked at it a little.  But he doesn't even have the full handed grasp yet, let alone thumb and forefinger.  

Now, the problem with waking up at 4 a.m. every day emerges.  Yawn!  It's 10 a.m. and I'm seriously ready for a nap.  Wonder if I can talk Luke into one?  Whoops, I guess not, Housekeeping just came by, I'm off to go wander while they tidy up.  Remind me to talk about the bottle next time.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, that jet lag is a kicker! Hope you get a nap, too! Maybe a nap and some snuggles. :-)

    ReplyDelete