A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Our Short But Full Week


Since Monday was a school holiday, Tuesday I had a dental appointment, and Friday I took the girls to Shriners, we tried to stuff a lot of learning into Wednesday and Thursday.


I printed these cool pages I found online for Katie to be able to make her name out of Duplos.


Brayden came over to play one day.  Katie loves having him here.


And Brayden adores Uncle Jack and Uncle Eli.  He was disappointed they had to work on school work for part of the time he was here.


Using the book Starting Chess, the boys are getting a refresher course on how the game is played.  I love that this is built right into our curriculum.  I never would have thought to include it on my own, since I don't play chess.


This was my stab at Therapy Thursday.  I was having Jack read aloud to me, and he was squirming and fidgeting, so I told him to bring the Balance Board up.  After some tossing a ball back and forth on the balance board, he was ready to work again, and decided to do the page while balancing.


Progress continues to happen with the new room.  The paneling is all up now, as is the trim board that's missing in this picture.  Hopefully, paint will happen soon, and then it will be done!  Josiah is anxious to get moved in, and Paul will be happy to have the extra space in the garage after moving the larger bed in.


Our Home Art Studio project this week was based on the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.


I like the 3 dimensional aspect of having the spoons stick up from the paper.


We drew the bowls and spoons in pencil on watercolor paper, then traced our designs in Sharpie, cut out, glued in place, and painted.


I think it would have been easier to paint then cut, but we would have had to wait for the finished paintings to dry first.


Somebody got a little carried away with the glue!


Miss Katie continues to love dot marker pages.  She recognizes K for Katie everywhere now.  I'm working on introducing the other letters of her name next.


The girls strung heart beads to make Valentine necklaces.  Great fine motor skills practice.  Both girls have "different" hands (Katie has 4 fingernails altogether, Hannah has 8), yet it doesn't slow them down a bit.


Over the long weekend, Sam helped me paint the rest of the castle blocks.


And I managed to find some time in the sewing room.  I made the pink/red striped leggings for Hannah to wear with a red shirt in honor of Valentine's month.


And the reversible pants are for Luke.  Denim on one side, and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? on the other.  Gymboree's Eric Carle line is on clearance, and I got him a cute raglan shirt that will go perfectly with this.  I know I shouldn't make white pants for a 3 year old, but 1) he doesn't crawl, and 2) I figure *when* they get stained, he can wear them denim side out.

Last night's movie was The Sword in the Stone, since the tale of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table were mentioned in our history lessons recently.  It's amazing how far animation technology has come since then!

We'll continue learning about the Vikings this coming week, and in Science we start The Wonderful Way Babies Are Made.  That should be... interesting.

Linking up with Home to 4 Kiddos and:

For the Display of His Splendor


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

6 comments:

  1. I love those Duplo sheets... awesome! I should do some for my youngest. She would love it!

    You DID fit a lot in to those two days! Wow, I'm impressed.

    Those reversible pants are the CUTEST!

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd made a note of the site; I would have linked to it for you.

      Delete
  2. My kids have been dying to learn about chess, but I can never remember all the rules. I just placed Starting Chess into my wishlist :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad to hear it! :) It's a cute book.

      Delete
  3. That is a great idea to use the balance board. I love the way we can just add some of those things into our day. Thank you for linking up with Therapy Thursday. See you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I reviewed the book A Life In Balance last year, and it really opened my eyes to the way the body and mind work together. :)

      Delete