A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, August 5, 2022

Lucky Fin Project Weekend

Lucky Fin Project is an organization that connects people with limb differences.  There's an annual gathering, and I decided it would be fun to go this year.  


Upon arriving at our hotel, we were greeted with a welcome sign, and lots of families in the lobby.  Someone was passing out LFP backpacks with some fun loot in them.  


Friday's activity was a bit open ended.  Katie ran off with the pack (there were a LOT of kids) and made new friends.  Hannah stayed glued to me.  


Saturday, however, Hannah was a wee bit more adventurous.  While I stood in a line (registration? merch? lunch? there were a lot of lines) I sent her over to take a look at some of the vendors who were repping prosthetic arms.  


She had lots of questions, and she talked to at least 3 different vendors about arms.  


It was fun to meet authors and others with a connection to the limb difference community.  I hope the overall experience gave the girls the sense that they're not alone.  


We even spotted a firefighter/paramedic missing his right hand.  Hannah chatted with him, too.  



And Katie?  Well, that's her, up in the bucket of the ladder truck.  


Since she was following me around, I made her pose with the sign.


One of the fun parts was meeting a couple of moms I'd only known online.  


Another fun part was the police K9 demonstration.


I wouldn't want the dogs attacking me.  


Another random Hannah shot.  


Katie went to the concert, and afterwards was chatting up a guy in the band.  


She enjoyed learning more about the electric guitar, 


and this week was sure to mention that there was one in the rummage sale, just in case I'd missed it.  


This picture.  My heart can't even explain.  These guys were all born in China.  There were several other Chinese adoptees present, too.  


Our kids are swapped, but someone spotted us taking pics and told us moms to get in the shot, too.  I so appreciate that!  


Once upon a time, I went to China on an advocacy trip and a nanny plopped this baby in my lap, and he fell asleep on me.  I was smitten, and came home and shared about him, rejoicing when he was matched.  


I had no idea that six and a half years later, I'd be able to see him running around, healthy & happy, with a family of his very own.  This was the biggest blessing to me.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Just . . . wow! So many miracles for you and those kids!

    Katie and Hannah seem to follow a pattern in group settings. I wonder if Katie's adventurousness will slowly rub off on Hannah.

    You're an awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite the adventure. I discovered that Hannah and Katie are at a great age for travel, and they're troopers. I'm already contemplating a great road trip next summer.

      Delete