A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cleaning Up Broken Glass


I had Luke standing up, holding on to the end of Katie's bed while I dressed Katie the other day.  He was startled, let go, and went over sideways, straight as a board.  He hit his head on the wall, knocking off this picture that was hanging above Katie's dresser.


Having a bunch of boys, I've had to clean up a lot of glass over the years.  Mostly, it's been over linoleum or tile.  We've shattered a LOT of Corelle dishes!  I can usually sweep up the mess and warn everyone to put shoes on until we're sure we've found all the pieces.  


This time, however, I was over carpet.  Kneeling here, looking at picking up all these shards, I had a brainstorm.  


This may look like duct tape, but it's a horribly cheap, shreddy stuff that is more like lousy packing tape.  I'm super disappointed with the quality, so I didn't mind sacrificing some for picking up glass.  (And it was actually perfect, since it cuts so easily, I didn't have to send someone to find me scissors, I could just cut the tape with a piece of glass.)


I used the tape to stick to pick up the glass so I didn't have to potentially cut my fingers over and over and over again.  Afterwards, I vacuumed, of course, but I was pleased with how well this worked out.  As I said, simple idea, but I thought I would share it with you for the next time you find yourself cleaning up broken glass.  


There's a happy ending to this story.  Paul took the picture out to the garage and painstakingly picked all the broken glass out of the frame so we could hang it up again.  What a great Daddy!  

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!


4 comments:

  1. We have one of those sticky rollers- the kind that crazy sales people sell in malls and my husband can't resist. But they are great for rolling pet fur off carpet stairs, and amazing at cleaning up broken glass. Moments after he came home with that purchase, someone dropped a glass. I broom swept, vacuumed, and then told him to test his new purchase (which I thought was ridiculous). I was quickly shown to be wrong- it got many little shards and a few bigger ones that I had missed with broom and vacuum.

    ReplyDelete