A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, August 1, 2016

CTCMath


Eli reviewed CTCMath 2 years ago, and once he got into classroom high school, he found that he had already exposure to several things that were being presented as "new concepts" for his classmates because of it.  This is just the kind of edge that I wanted to give to Jack, so when the opportunity to receive a CTCMath Homeschool Membership for review came up again, I was very pleased.


CTCMath is an online math curriculum program that goes all the way from kindergarten through high school.  We received access for up to ten students!  We're currently using it for 3 students, but it's nice to know that I can add Eli or Brianna later on, if they need help with a topic they're covering in school.

Getting the student accounts set up was super easy, and once I had Jack, Hannah, and Katie all listed, I could add "tasks" for them to work on.  This is different than the way we used it last time around.  When Eli used the program, I simply had him choose and work on 3 subject content areas each day.


I started my current students off by selecting assessments for them.  I love that I have the option to test them and see where they're at and what their strengths and weaknesses are, rather than just plodding through a math book, front to back.  Since it's summer time, I wanted to test what they remember from last school year, so I chose kindergarten assessments for Katie, third grade assessments for Hannah, and 6th grade assessments for Jack.


I'm very glad this opportunity came up for us, because there were some areas in which the kids didn't score all that great.  CTCMath gives us the opportunity to see the gaps and do some remedial work in those areas to catch up.  The kids each worked on the program about 3 to 4 days per week during our review period.


When one of the children signs in, they click on Tasks, and it shows what they've been assigned to work on.  They can then choose one of those areas and get started.  In the diagnostic test mode, once you select an area, it goes to a button that says "Start Questions."


In lesson mode, once you select an area, it plays a video.  Since CTCMath is an Australian program, the videos are all in a lovely Aussie accent!  These videos explain the work step by step.  This takes a huge weight off my shoulders, as math is not my strongest area, and I've often said, "Go ask older sister/brother or Dad how to do this.  I don't have time to re-learn it right now."


After the video, there are a series of questions to check comprehension.  This is Hannah's screen, showing her score on the 4th grade place value section.  Also, as the parent teacher, I have my own sign in, where I can access reports showing my students' progress.  CTCMath sends me weekly emails with reports, as well.  I can also print certificates for them as they reach various milestones.  In addition to diagnostic testing and lessons, there are also speed drills you can assign to help your students achieve or retain mastery in the basic operations.

In summary, CTCMath is a great online math program which is highly adjustable to the needs of your particular students, and easy to administrate.  I have decided to put off purchasing the math books I was going to buy and stick with CTCMath this school year instead.

CTCMath Review

You can connect with CTCMath on Facebook, Twitter, Periscope, Pinterest, and YouTube.


Eighty Crew families reviewed CTCMath.  To read what the others have to say, please click the box below:

CTCMath Review

Crew Disclaimer


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

4 comments:

  1. We used CTC Math last year and it was great. We also used IXL. The CTC is a teaching program that teaches in many learning styles. IXL is only the work, I have to teach it. Doing both together worked well for us because the IXL was so much more comprehensive and was more advanced per grade level than CTC, I felt the kids learned a lot more. But, the way CTC taught, gave them a good starting point for IXL. I liked the CTC best because it taught the lessons, but I wish it was as comprehensive at IXL. I think both are a great combination and so affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that sometimes more than one approach really helps. Fortunately, we still have a subscription to LearnBop, which we reviewed in June, to provide that.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a really great program! I'm impressed with the ease of use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice not to have to explain concepts I don't use regularly.

      Delete