A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

End of March

Whew!  I'm just *not* getting to the blog as often as I used to!  Maybe that will change come summertime.  In the meantime...


I got out and took a bike ride.  Not terribly long, but it felt good to be outdoors.  I stopped at one of the two Little Free Libraries in our neighborhood.  


Why is there a frog on the front of the biography bookcase?


Well you see, I did my first story walk.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?  


I did it with the preschoolers and kindergarten class.  


They had a blast chanting along with me and finding the next creature.


So, when this book came across my desk, I gave it the side eye while processing.  And sure enough, after moving the 590s to the little bookcase, this book was more visible, allowing the middle schoolers (and the 5th graders) to discover it.  And they acted like middle schoolers.  Which was not unexpected.  What was unexpected was when the younger elementary kids spied a biography of our president and started saying, "Let's go, Brandon!"  Wow.  Not at all what I expected from my 3rd & 4th graders.  Maybe I was "sheltered" but as a kid, I had no idea who my parents voted for.  I was taught to respect the office of president.  The middle schoolers also made derogatory comments about the biography, and an older sib in the high school plopped it on my desk, saying, "My dad wants me to check this out."  I'm half expecting to need a Book Challenge form.  Le sigh.  


Adoptive family virtual paint night?  That sounds fun.  So I signed us up, they sent us the materials, and I promptly forgot all about it on the actual Zoom meeting night.  Another sigh.  

I'll have to pull up a YouTube painting tutorial for the girls to do instead.  (At some point.  After the box of supplies has sat in a corner and mocked my parenting skills for a good long while.)


Grumman is still a beautiful cat (with a weird shoe fetish).


Tuzi bunny makes a rare blog appearance, chilling on my lap.  He's shedding like mad right now.  


After missing his first shoot of the season due to illness, Jack was thrilled to be out competing again.


My current car book and his latest shoot pin.  


So this is the project I wanted to do with my students.  I even painted up an example.  


We did it over 2 sessions.  Day one, they painted the black circles, using disposable toddler bowls.  I'll have to share some of the "part 2" pictures next time.


I crikey-ed up some bunnies to trace for a project.  I also don't seem to have an "after" picture for that one today.  Hmm.  


My If You Give a Mouse a Cookie dress.  


The K & 1st grade classes painted paper plate cookies in the library that day.  


Theirs were a lot more chocolatey than my example cookie.  

Whew!  I think we've more or less covered March now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment