A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, July 29, 2013

The MIND Institute

It's taken me several days to get a turn on my own computer to sit down and write this post, yet I'm still not sure what I want to say.  I just know that people are wondering how it went and I should give an update.

So Tuesday was Luke's visit at the MIND Institute.  We were with the doctor for over 2.5 hours.  She did a lot of testing, and we talked about what Luke can and can't do, and she examined him.

The upshot of it all is, Luke does not meet the new criteria to be diagnosed with autism at this time.  (The criteria for diagnosis changed recently.)  Because he makes eye contact, she feels he has appropriate social interaction skills.  However, she did say she considers him "at risk" for an autism diagnosis in the future.  And she did say that he is severely delayed.  Big surprise there.

Based on her assessments, Luke's test scores ranged from 1 month old (fine motor skills) to 8 months old, developmentally.  For those just tuning in, Luke is 2 years old.  The doctor is mailing us the detailed report, which should be here next week.  Hopefully it will be a help to the people from Alta Regional and SCOE when they come out to assess him next month.

While we were there, I had her look over the lab work that the pediatric neurologist ordered.  He asked me to wait and see if the MIND Institute folks were going to order any additional tests, so Luke would only have to go to the lab once.  Awfully considerate of him, really.  She said there wasn't anything else she needed, lab wise, so I took Luke in for bloodwork Wednesday.

Two of the tests require a urine specimen, so the lab sent me home with a stick-on pee bag, and strict instructions that I was to collect the specimen, pour it into the cup, pack the cup in ICE, and rush it back to the lab asap.  I was exhausted Wednesday afternoon, and we had appointments first thing Thursday, and Paul worked on Friday, so the long and the short of it is, Luke is currently bagged, and we're waiting for him to produce.  The kids are fascinated.  Never a dull moment, I tell you.  I figure after we drop off the pee, I can go pick up some burritos at Trader Joe's.  You know, since I'll be out anyway.

I suppose we're closer to some answers, merely in knowing what it's not, but it doesn't help much in terms of prognosis.  No telling what time and therapy will do, of course, but I'd like to get some idea of his potential trajectory, so I can adjust my own expectations.  Our next big milestone visit will be the follow up at neurology at the end of next month, to interpret all the test results, after his MRI, EEG, etc.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!   Have you clicked for us today?  Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment