A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Katie's Surgery


Remember how I just told you that Katie's surgery had been scheduled for October?  Well, Thursday we got a phone call from Shriners saying, "How about tomorrow?"  When they have a surgery cancellation, they try to fill it with a patient who is willing to be put on the short notice list.  So, despite the fact that I'm getting over a monster cold, it seemed like a good idea to get it done, since the original surgery date conflicted with one of Luke's appointments, and since Paul would be home.

Friday morning, Katie didn't even notice going without breakfast, due to the distraction of a morning bath.  Originally asked to arrive at 11:30 for a 2:30 proceedure, Shriners called early and said the patient before her was a no show, and to hurry in.  We set out at 10:30, and by 11:45 she was all gowned up, waiting for the anesthesiologist.


Child Life came by and gave her a movie to watch while we waited.


So Hello Kitty kept us company until 1 o'clock when she was finally wheeled away.

I had a really tasty grilled cheese sandwich with avocado and bacon, thanks to the recommendation of the Same Day Surgery guy.  While in the cafeteria, I ran into Mr. Rick, the girls' prosthetist.  There was a funny moment where the kid at the table behind me thought I had a child in the bag I was carrying, because Katie's prosthetic (with her shoe on) was sticking out of the bag.  After lunch, I settled down to wait.

Her 2 hour surgery took 3 hours.  The surgeon ended up using some of the skin from her leg on her little fingers.

Fortunately, there was another family in the waiting area, and I struck up a conversation with the mom and grandma who were waiting for their child to get out of knee surgery.  We chatted about adoption and I got to share how Hannah and Katie joined our family, and how well they've done.


It was after 4 by the time the let me in to Recovery.  I could tell she'd been in there a while because they'd already removed her leads, her IV, her O2, etc.  I wish they'd brought me back earlier.  She was asking for me when I walked in.  I held her for a bit and the nurse said, "You can get her dressed now."  I'd brought clothes and PJs, and I gave her the choice.  She picked PJs.  Despite the appearance of closed eyes in the picture, she really was awake here.  The nurse grabbed a wheelchair, and ushered us out the door.  We were in the car at 4:45.

I stopped at Walgreens to have her pain rx filled on the way home, and they didn't have the medicine that she was prescribed.  Fortunately, CVS also has a drive thru, so we went there and got it.  We got home at 6 o'clock.


She was limp and feverish last night, but is doing better today.  I brought her toddler bed into our room last night, and was able to medicate her without really disturbing her much.  She slept well, and is a perky little diva today.  She quite enjoys having us all cater to her every whim.  I have a feeling she'll be back on her feet again soon.

She's wearing one of Hannah's old sundresses today because it was easy to get around her hand bandages.  She's to keep both bandages clean, dry, and intact for the next 4 weeks.  That should be interesting.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

20 comments:

  1. So glad they could fit you in early and it went smoothly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I continue to be amazed at how these little girls bounce back.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Its over and it went well. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie pie. <3 Wishing her a quick and easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't have time to get worked up over it.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear she was feeling better today!! Continued prayers for her healing, Shecki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michele! She's bouncing back nicely. :)

      Delete
  6. What a surprise! I know that feeling of having no notice. It does have its advantages, especially when you live close and Paul is home. She looks good! I can't wait to see the results. Who was her hand surgeon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McCarroll did both. She (and Hannah) see Lerman for lower limbs.

      I'm looking forward to seeing the results myself. I don't like the idea of waiting 4 weeks to get a peek under those bandages. I'm hoping Lerman is curious, because she sees him before the 4 week check up, lol.

      Delete
  7. God bless you and your little angel! Glad all went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is just adorable. What a brave little girl! I'm glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's back to her old spunky self today with NO PAINKILLERS! I'm in awe.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. She's doing great now! She's running around like nothing ever happened. Even the bandages don't slow her down. :)

      Delete