A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, January 17, 2022

Birds & Gold & Cats & More





There I go again, painting more TP tubes.  I'm hoping these turn into "firecrackers" for Chinese New Year.  I usually have lofty goals, but I need to get better at the follow through part.  


I'm planning to put gold washi tape along the top & bottom of them and use baker's twine to hang them in a chain.  I'm really looking forward to decking the library out for CNY.  


We'll be talking about birds in the library next week, so I pulled out the animal toob bucket and the letter tiles.  I'm going to have the primaries do some matching.  I think I'm going to hand a card to each of the children as they come in and have them try to find the bag with the right bird in it.  Crossing my fingers it goes as well in person as I'm imagining in my head.  


I'm reading the 5th graders Badge of Honor, which is set during the Gold Rush.  So I got them pyrite mining kits to dig some "gold" last week while I read aloud.  

Speaking of the library, we're having our very first fundraiser!  Check it out!  


I kicked a chair and bruised my toe.  :sigh:  


Went to the fabric store, hoping to find something to inspire me for Chinese New Year, and saw this agate fabric that reminded me of Brianna, who loves pretty rocks.  


I pulled the Tylenol out of my desk at work this week and thought, "That's probably not going to last me the rest of the school year, is it?"  It was NOT a full bottle when the year started, though, just a random one I brought from home.  


You can really see the size difference between 6# Fiona and 12# Grumman here.  


They're tolerating each other a lot better these days, particularly when it comes to sharing the "electric sunbeam," the space in front of the space heather!  


Jack Jack went on a hike with some friends.  I wanted him to bring a hoodie, but Heaven forbid his friends find out he owns sleeves or pants.  :eyeroll:  It was 53* when I dropped him off.  


Because I rank among the #worldsokayestmom team, this is my First Day of School picture on Josiah's second day of school.  :facepalm:  

Hannah's project

Dante forgot a circle:  Science Fair.  The most undervalued benefit of homeschooling is that there's no science fair.  You can science any way you want.  I hate science fair kind of like I hate school performances & ceremonies.  I'll go along with it, but I'm going to complain the whole time.  I should probably work on that.  Although, it seems like the kind of sin I'll outgrow in a few years, anyway, so maybe I'll just wait it out.  

Katie's project

I found it amusing that Katie never bothered to "experiment" on Fiona.  She could have had twice as much data.  


Grumman has been far more of a lap cat than usual lately.  And I've been getting less and less accomplished lately.  But it's really not his fault.  I feel like my "get up & go" got up and went.  It's just that since I'm sitting around doing nothing, my lap is more available to him.  I don't know if it's the weather, or I'm fighting a cold, or what, but I really hope I can force myself to start getting more done soon.  

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Your poor toe!! I know my "get up and go" got up and went, too. I've got some tentative weight loss goals that I know will have me feeling freer and more energetic . . . I just need to find the "get up and go" to act on my plans!

    Such cute Chinese New Year decorations, and those activities look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete