A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Bus Tour of London

There's 4 lions around Trafalgar Square.  


Each lion weighs seven tons.  


Okay, believe it or not, we're still on day 1 in London.  I booked myself a "see London by night" bus tour.


So I walked to the tour start point.  


What I didn't realize was that "night" doesn't start until much later than the 7:30 slot I booked.  However, I was glad for this as I was walking back to my hotel after 9 pm that it wasn't dark.  


Now you get a bunch of random images of buildings and statues whose names and significance I have forgotten already.  (Remember, this was still my travel day from California.)  


Oh, wait, this one I know.  


This is the Victoria & Albert Museum.  Another place on the "Must see next time" list.



Royal horse/carriage stuff building.


My first glimpse of Big Ben.


The London Eye.



This is the memorial to the Great Fire of London.  


We crossed Tower Bridge.  Tower Bridge and London Bridge are parallel to one another, both crossing the Thames.  


On the other side of the moat, you see the Tower of London.  Tower, singular, is really a misnomer, as there are several towers within the complex.  


Very cool.  We'll see more of it on another day.


One of the City of London dragons.  


The face on this arch looks like it belongs in a Lord of the Rings movie.  


Statues and memorials everywhere.


I think this one is Eros.  


And up close


 On the walk back to the hotel, I passed the Brazilian embassy.  

I'm glad I did the bus tour.  It was a nice way to get a quick overview.  

4 comments:

  1. What a grand trip you are having so far.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally amazing, and I'm already dreaming about where to go next summer.

      Delete
  2. The history on every corner is just breathtaking. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, "An Englishman thinks 100 miles is a long way; an American thinks 100 years is a long time."

    I live right on the Oregon trail--there's a memorial swale on the corner of my block--1 house over. It seems so historic . . . and then I look at your pictures and remember again how much more history there is than I can ever really know or understand. (Anne)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love that quote! And it's so true. The historic stuff in London is a lot denser than I expected. They've just got so much more recorded history than we do here. I'm in California, and our missions are about as old as it gets (1769-1800s) and some of those are replicas, lol.

      Delete