A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn recipe


If you're not ready to give up the smell and taste of candy canes, try making this recipe!  


You'll need a drop of peppermint essential oil.  ONE DROP.  Trust me on this one, more isn't always better.  Sometimes it's overwhelming.  


You need a cup of chocolate chips.
My measuring cup just came out of the dishwasher, so my chips are already starting to melt.  


You need some popcorn.  I used 1/4 of kernels for this batch.  Yes, we pop on the stove with a little oil.  No, we don't have a cool popcorn maker, and I'm okay with that.  One less gadget to store.  


You can put your chocolate chip cup into a pan of boiling water to melt, or you can use the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds.  

When it's melted, add that ONE DROP of peppermint oil.  You might even drip into the cap and then drip from the cap to the chocolate if you're concerned about overdoing the oil.  

Stir well to combine.


Spread your popcorn on a jelly roll pan (that's a cookie sheet with sides), and drizzle the chocolate mixture over the popcorn.  


Stir the popcorn to coat evenly, then slide the tray into the fridge to harden the chocolate.  

While the chocolate is setting, you get to lick the rubber scraper, the chopstick used to stir the chocolate, and the measuring cup.  Peppermint laced chocolate is that good.  Paul and Josiah helped me.  We all got in on the slurping.  

Once the chocolate is set, scrap popcorn off into a bowl, and for best results, consume with chopsticks.  (I usually eat my popcorn with chopsticks anyway, to keep my hands from getting greasy, but with chocolate in the picture, it's even more essential.)  

Notice there's no picture of the finished bowl of popcorn?  
Or of us enjoying it?  

That's because it's so good, all you can focus on (no camera pun intended!) is eating it!  By the time it occurred to me to get more pictures, it was gone.  

YUM!  

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

12 comments:

  1. YUM. Nice way to keep the holiday spirit going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is down, but the peppermint lives on! :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm going to have to make some of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware! I've made it 3 times in the last 3 weeks, lol!

      Delete
  3. I love chocolate with popcorn (or popcorn with chocolate LOL). I'll have to try it with the peppermint. Thanks for sharing at Food on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and sharing this over on Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen. Yummy. I love peppermint. Though I do need to ask, can peppermint extract be used as I don't have any essential oils?
    this would be great with our movie and popcorn time.
    Definitely going to pin this one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peppermint extract would work, too, but you'll need to figure out how much to use. I would imagine not very much--peppermint is strong! But extract is not as concentrated as essential oil. Maybe try 1/4 t. and see how that tastes?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It is! In fact, I'm out of peppermint, LOL! Waiting for my oil order to arrive so I can make more. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds so good! I have never tried anything like this before. :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/01/try-new-recipe-tuesday-january-14.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom post recipes, because I'm not much of a cook, but next time I do, I'll be sure to share. :)

      Delete