A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

CNY Craft: Chinese Peg People


We had such fun creating these!  They were easy to make, and the supplies are readily available.  They will be table decorations for our Chinese New Year feast soon.


What you will need:

*Paint
*Wooden Pegs
*scraps of fabric and ribbon
*black pony beads
*glue (you can try white glue, but I brought out The big dog glue for this one)
*permanent markers  I got a set of these in my stocking.


We used leftover paint from our Tomb Wall kits, but you can use whatever paint you have on hand.  


Since the kids have been learning to blend colors, I had them mix their own flesh tone from white and Van Dyke Brown.


We painted the head and neck area of each of our people pegs.


After that layer was dry, we painted the hair black.  


Brianna got creative and added a piece of black yarn to make wisps of hair hang down like Kai Lan.  


The Popsicle sticks are for a different project, coming soon, but you can see Jack's figure drying in the background.


These are mine.  I used wispy strokes on the boy hair, and left a "part" in the girl hair.  


After dressing them, we glued black pony bead "buns" to the girls' heads.  


Brianna used gold brocade and gold ribbon to dress her doll.


Eli made a mama and a baby.  Swoon.


Jack made his a "black belt," which I helped him tie.  


My boy is wearing a scrap of printed Asian fabric that I made myself a peasant top from, oh, about a decade ago.  My girl is wearing amazing double sided brocade with FUR on the inside!  I folded up a little of the fur at the bottom and "hemmed" with glue to make it look like trim.  I used a gold ribbon and some glue to shape the top of the brocade so it wasn't so tube like.  Trying to decide if I want to leave her looking like Amelia Earhart with scarf flying behind her, or if I want to trim it or glue the ends down.  


Overall, I'm really happy with how these turned out, and we had a great time making them.  I may need to find more peg people projects for us to craft.  

Linking up with:


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! If these little cuties made you smile, can you take a moment to click for us?  Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Those are really cute! I love the use of pony beads for the hair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are actually a "pinned it and DID it" project. I can't take credit for the idea; I found it searching CNY on Pinterest.

      Delete
  2. These will fit in nicely with our China study!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so adorable! Also I love your blog! It's so fun reading about other bif families like ours :) Thanks for linking up at Pinspiration Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I grew up an only child and rebelled, LOL! :D

      Delete
  4. Love this activity. I'm including it in my Chinese New Year round up post at something2offer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thaleia! :) (I just tweeted on your Friends & Heros giveaway again. I've seen several blogs doing the giveaway, and I'm really hoping to win one!)

      Delete
  5. All the contents you mentioned in post are too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. costa rica vacation packages including airfare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I especially like the beads as buns in the hair. Very ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I wish I could take credit for the buns, but I actually saw it on Pinterest, lol. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Wendy! I wish I could take credit for the buns, but I actually saw it on Pinterest, lol. :)

      Delete