A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Keyboard Classroom - Teaching Children to Type



It's always such a blessing when we get the chance to review curriculum that teaches something I've already been wanting the children to learn.  Such is the case with Keyboard Classroom.  I've been wanting the kids to learn to type, since typing is such a vitally important skill in our computer-driven world.


I asked Brianna if she would be my reviewer this time around.  We received a CD ROM and a pair of finger positioners.  Keyboard Classroom is also available as an instant download.  It is designed to work with Windows.  They do not recommend using the program on a laptop, because a laptop's keyboard is different than that of a traditional, desktop computer.


The finger positioners didn't fit the kids' keyboard as well as they did mine, and Brianna didn't like them, so they didn't get used much, but I like the concept, and perhaps when she has completed the program, one of her brothers will choose to use them while they work through it.  


The basic idea is that the finger positioners train the student's hand to stay in the right place and use the correct fingers for each letter.  


You begin as a cadet, and progress through the ranks, hopefully all the way to general, as you learn new skills.  


There are 5 main learning areas, and you earn tokens in those, to be used playing games after practicing.  Brianna's favorite game was Zirch.  The object is to collect the moving letters that spell Zirch.


Although she learned a lot from the program, being 13, she felt like it was better suited to younger kids.  However, since she's off to school next year, I'm guessing she'll appreciate the skills she's learning when it comes time to start typing her high school homework papers.  


The family license is a great deal if you have several students you would like to use the program with, since the price per person goes down quite a bit.  The single user license and the family license each come with one set of finger guides.  Additional finger guides can be purchased for $15.  Keyboard Classroom also offers a school license tailored to fit a traditional classroom's needs.  


I found this to be a good addition to our homeschool, and I look forward to having Eli work through the program next year, when Brianna is done with it.  

Keyboard Classroom

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

6 comments:

  1. If you're looking for free typing, my 7yo son is really enjoying the variety of games on "www.funtotype.com". It's all free, there are choices of home/bottom/top rows, easy/hard/word/phrases...etc. He really enjoys the Ninja Fruit Slicing and Baron VonTypefast ones. I had to nix the Zombie one because it uses the arrows--not standard typing keys, kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, I'll have to check that out. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the fabulous review! It looks like a great possibility and is very affordable (in my opinion). Typing effectively is so important now a-days isn't it? I'm sharing this review!

    Thanks for linking this up with us at the #homeschoollinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Lisa! :) I love your linkup. I always find the most interesting posts there.

      Delete
  3. Learning the keyboard is essential today. My kids have all learned from a young age to type.
    This looks like a good program. Too bad it cannot be used with laptops. We don't have a desktop.
    My kids like the typing games at LearningGamesForKids.com. And I like them because they're free. :)
    Thanks for sharing. I'll keep it in mind to share with someone who does have a desktop. It's got a simple enough name, easy to remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that link! Sounds like a "typing resources roundup" post might be in order at some point in the future! :)

      Delete