A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Homeschool Weekly Wrap Up #18




Sam recently asked me to teach him how to do laundry.  Warms this mama's heart to hear him crashing around in there and find him doing a load on his own.


If you're a regular reader, you may remember me telling you about a science experiment that flopped, which is one of the reasons we're using Magic School Bus science kids from Educents in addition to our regular science.  


This was the flop we had this week.  The matches were supposed to launch.


They totally didn't.  


We tried several times.  No go.


The cat got chased into the bowels of the house, though these openings.  NOT by one of the children.  Sigh.  He came out again, though.  No visible progress on the bathroom this week, but exciting work got done on the front yard.  (More on that later.)


This week, we learned about Gideon and Samson.  I'm using Write from Ancient History to have Brianna and Eli practice writing a summary of a story, and the book had stories about both Gideon and Samson.  I love it when "extras" line up so well with our main curriculum.  


Another adoptive family blog I follow mentioned Xtra Math, and referred to it as a "math vitamin" which I just had to check out.  It's a free program for basic operations review/practice.  I had Brianna, Eli, and Jack start working on it (it's just a few minutes a day).  I think I'm going to have Hannah try it, too.  


For our next Chinese New Year craft (I'm starting to sound like the guy pulling rabbits out of a hat, aren't I?), we made....


a mess out of the adhesive thingie from Mom's scrapbooking supplies...


but we also made...


using scrapbook paper and Chinese zodiac stickers...


chopstick holders!  Another one of those "not my idea" things I have on my Chinese New Year board on Pinterest.  Fun, easy craft.  


So much so, that Brianna made some more of them while I was reading to the kids during school.  

This coming week, we learn about Ruth, and then Samuel, and the next week, we get into the start of some Greek stuff.  I'm looking forward to something a little different.  

Linking up with Great Peace Academy and:
For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

13 comments:

  1. Ooh those chopstick holders are so adorable! Great work. I'm so not crafty and most of my trials turn out like that adhesive thingie! LOL
    Thanks for Linking up "This Week at Great Peace Academy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not big on messy crafts, but I enjoy making things, and now that the kids are old enough to make recognizable stuff, it's a lot more fun. :) Thanks for hosting, Renee!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how there are so many differences, even though it's all the same basic idea.

      Delete
  3. The mess of adhesive tape looks like modern art to me.

    The chopstick holders are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not the sticky part, thank goodness. It's more like the backing paper from a sticker? The adhesive runner winds the used backing around a second spool inside the tool, and somehow, it got tangled up so we took it apart.

      :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a pretty good week although I hate it when science projects don't work out! I will have to check out Xtra math!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first, it was just a couple, but the farther into the book we go, the more disappointed with it we are. :/ Next year's science looks MUCH better, though. Astronomy and anatomy.

      Delete
  5. I have experienced some of those messy flops myself. But they are great memories as we look back on them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. We have an egg splat picture to share this week. Memories, for sure.

      Delete
  6. I like your chopstick wrapper craft so much, I chose this post as one of my favorites from last week's Hearts for Home Blog Hop. Thanks for linking up, and feel free to stop back by and grab an "I Was Featured" button! http://learningtable.blogspot.com/2014/01/hearts-for-home-blog-hop-50.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too many details, i am really impressed with your given details about plastic adhesive tape and the way you had used it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete