A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Our Week Before Valentine's Day


You know how I said we'd get more done this week than we did last week?  I was wrong.


We actually ended up getting very little official school work done this week, due to distraction and illness.  These are drawings the boys did of St. Francis.


The cat has been hanging out in the school room with us lately.  I think he likes the sunbeam.


We've been listening to a great audio book, but it's kind of hard to take a picture that shows that!


Jack put the North American GeoPuzzle together, which counts as geography, right?


I was so pleased with all the geography the kids learned during our MFW-ECC year.  I didn't realize they'd lose so much of it without regular review.  I've been making more of an effort to include map practice lately.  This year and last year, geography in our main curriculum has all centered around the Mediterranean Sea area.


We've all done a bit of laying around.


There's a cold running through the house.  Unfortunately, it has hit both Paul and I, too.


Eli pointed out that last time he was sick, I got out a cool bug excavating kit for Jack to do.  So, since we just finished up our Human Body unit in science, and we're getting ready to start Astronomy, I pulled out this solar system for him to work on.


I got mine from Amazon, but they're on Zulily right now, too.  It's not finished yet, but he's plugging away at it in bits and pieces.


Miss Hannah had a Valentine party at school, and came home and shared candy with her brothers and sisters.


I dressed the girls up in their silks, hoping to get some good pictures, but we had an off day.


These were the best two shots of the two girls together, and there wasn't a really good one of just Hannah by herself.


This ended up being my favorite picture from all 40+ shots I took.

Here's hoping that next week we can get our groove back.  --No, wait, everybody's off on Monday for Presidents' Day.  Sigh.

Linking up with Home to 4 Kiddos and:

For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

10 comments:

  1. Jack looks so much like Zach in the picture where he's looking at the puzzle box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're right! I hadn't noticed it, but that's a very Zach expression. :)

      Delete
  2. Looking at the cat sitting in the beam of sunshine is so relaxing... I love puzzles that teach geography, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a wooden tray puzzle of Africa we bought at least a decade ago in a gift shop, and Brianna memorized the continent doing that puzzle over and over. She goes to high school now, and her teacher recently passed out blank maps of Africa for the kids to fill in using their books. Bri just started writing. She said she put down all but about half a dozen from memory before looking the rest up. I certainly couldn't do that!

      Delete
  3. I love the GeoPuzzle. We have Europe that I bought at a thrift store. I love the girls in their dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great find! These are such nice puzzles. :)

      I'm really wishing I'd stocked up on the silks in China. They're so much cheaper there!

      Delete
  4. My ginger tabby loves to lay in the sun too! Sounds like a great homeschool week even if you didn't finish everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. We had fun together, and I didn't let the binder stress me out. There's always tomorrow, right?

      Delete
  5. You have such a beautiful family!

    I think we all need a bit of laying around (saying this cause I need to make excuses for myself). No really, the constant get up and go...go...go will burn the toughest out. I definitely take breaks, allow the kids the freedom to be free. I find that by doing that, the school days are much more productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really are amazing, and fun to photograph. :)

      I think it's *me* right now. We're enjoying homeschooling, I'm just... eh about everything the last few days. Maybe more than that. It's not the kids not wanting to do school, fortunately--we've had those times, too.

      Today went better. We started with art, and got more reading done than we have been lately, so hopefully I'm pulling out of the slump a little.

      Delete