A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Our Week with a Visit from Annaliese


This week has been different!  We had a disappointment over the weekend that left me pretty bummed out on Monday, so all we managed, school wise, was spelling.  But the week improved from there.


Spelling and math happening.


For art this week, we finger painted.  Each child started with a blob of red and a blob of blue.


Katie is not crazy about "messy" stuff, but has gotten better about it.  This activity was mostly for her benefit, as I wanted her to really understand how two primary colors mix to make secondary colors.  (We also reinforced this with bath colors this week.)


It was fun to watch them go from tentative dabs


to full on hand prints.  And now they're begging to finger paint again, telling me we have to show Katie how to mix yellow and blue, and red and yellow.


And the finished pieces.  Not really representative of anything specific, more art process and playing with the medium.


On Wednesday, Annaliese came for a visit!  Since she's been gone in Australia for a year, this was super exciting, and again, school pretty much went right out the window after that.  I'm not feeling all that guilty about it, though, because the teens are coming home telling me, "We're just playing Minecraft in Geography."  "My teacher is so done; we're watching movies in English."  Seems to be a lot of it going on this time of year.


Our only medical appointment this week was not for Lukey, but was Eli's sports physical!  Yep, little Bubba is going to be a big football player.  Hard to believe!


Did you catch our Pictures at the Park?  Katie played hard.  Most days, she looks at books quietly during nap time.  This was what I found when I went to let her up after our playtime at the park.


We took Annaliese out to lunch at Chick Fil A her first day here.  The girls take forever to finish an ice cream so I had them split one.


Since it was another beautiful day, we stopped at the park on the way home.


This picture really warms my heart.  Hannah has always been terrified of swings.  (Katie doesn't like them either.)  When I looked over and saw her sitting on a swing, rocking it back and forth, I almost held my breath.  Now that she's big enough to approach the swings on her own terms, she is trying them out.  I'm so proud of her.


Are these not the cutest outfits??  The t-shirts came from Zulily, but the skirts are from Primary (referral link).  They're reversible, which is pretty cool.  The other side is lavender.


Katie, never one to be outdone by Hannah, had to try out the swings, too.  She hopped off and went back to the climbing structure pretty quickly, though.


Annaliese showed us all the different Australian coins she had left over from her trip.


She even gave Hannah, Jack, and Katie each their own coin to keep.

There was more to our week, but I think this is photo intensive enough for one day!

This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the rough start to your week. It looks like it improved a great deal. I love the playground and art pictures.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. It's hard when things don't go the way we expect. I'm usually a very "roll with it" sort of person, but this was tough. It looks like the situation will turn around, though, so I'm hopeful that it will all work out in the end.

      Delete