A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Through the Shadows


I lived in Sonoma County during the 1989 earthquake.  I remember watching my water glass scoot across my dresser, and walking through the empty house, seeing the kitchen light fixture swaying after it was over.  Although we hadn't met yet, my husband to be was living in San Francisco at the time.  His memories are entirely different.

Through the Shadows takes you to San Francisco in the aftermath of the 1906 earthquake.  People are rebuilding, fraud and corruption is thriving, and the innocent are being mistreated.

Elizabeth comes to the city to work at a Mission for Chinese girls escaping from dire circumstances in Chinatown.  But she brings with her a secret.  I wish the author had just come out with it, instead of alluding to it over and over and over and not really telling you what the secret is until you're annoyed about it.

Young Charles McKinley is struggling to find his way as an attorney in his prosperous uncle's long shadow.  He is a friend of the Mission and the two fall in love.

I liked the story line and the characters.  This is a Book 3, and I enjoyed it enough that I'll keep an eye out for Out of the Ruins and Beyond the Ashes, books 1 and 2 in the Golden Gate Chronicles.



Please click the box above to enter to win one of 5 copies of Through the Shadows!

This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment