A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Special Way To Teach Giving During Christmastime


I'd like to share one of our special traditions with you.  It wasn't my idea, originally.  My friend Sarah shared it several years ago, and I loved the idea, so I copied her.  They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  


It's about a nativity set.
We have this one, but you can use any set.  Back when they were easier to come by (and cheaper!) I bought two of them and gave one to my dad's family.

Each year, we select a new animal to add to the stable scene.  


We purchase 2 of the toy animals (one for us, and one for my dad's family), and we also make a donation to World Vision to purchase the same animals for needy families overseas.  

It's very special to me, each year as we set up this particular nativity (confession?  I have several) to see the animals we've given as gifts to Jesus crowd 'round the baby Jesus.  

I wonder if there is a sweater knit from the wool of the lamb we donated the first year keeping someone warm right now.  Or what sort of load the donkey we helped provide carries for it's owner.  I hope the chickens have become good egg layers.  


But more than that, I want my kids to see us giving to Jesus and giving to others in a tangible way.  My hope is that someday the back of the box will have many, many years and animals listed, and that even after I'm gone, my children will chose to have a similar tradition of giving in their own homes.  


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Isn't it? Not mine originally, but it's a special one for us now.

      Delete
  2. Love this idea! We have (can you have too many? :-) ) nativity sets. We've also purchased some animals through Samaritan's Purse. Combining the two makes sense for a Christmas tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to laugh, because after writing this, we received another nativity from our pastor. :) I tell Paul the kids all need to take a set as they leave home.

      Delete