A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Homeschool Week 16


This week, we escaped from the Cradle of Civilization and spent some time on Western Hemisphere early cultures, mainly the Olmecs and the Chavin.  This year is really heavy on the Middle East, and I look forward to Week 21 when we get to Early Russians and Week 26 when we learn about India.  Otherwise, it's almost all countries/people groups that border the Mediterranean.


Oh, look, it's a map of the Middle East.  (sigh)  Eli is filling in the route the Hebrews took from Egypt to the Promised Land.  


Brianna finished her Egyptian Temple this week.  


The detail on this thing was great.  I wonder if I could convince Brianna to make the Greek Temple, too?  We'll be learning about Ancient Greek culture soon.  Actually, I think she would enjoy this Parthenon 3D Puzzle, too.  Maybe I'll have to poke around a bit more and see what sort of Greek enrichments I can come up with.  We'll be doing another Art In History project for Greece, and we're looking forward to that.  


We finished our color wheel this week.  We learned about tertiary colors, analogous colors and complimentary colors.  I love that we're learning about art and music, but I'm surprised that the year is half over and we haven't gotten into the paint & marker cards yet.  Something to look forward to, I guess.  

In music, we're listening to Bach.  


Eli worked on our Tabernacle.  


This is the perfect time of year to pick up metallic colored Sharpies.  I found Bronze and Gold (and Silver, not pictured) in the Christmas wrap section of Target last time I was out, and remembered that he had been trying to mix paints to come up with gold, so I got these as a treat.  He loved the way they worked, and you can see the bronze shine on the tabernacle photo above.   

Hannah and Sam both had half days at school on Friday, and are now OFF for Christmas break.  We will be breaking from our usual work, but I still plan to have some directed activities.  Art projects, science experiments, writing assignments, etc.  So I should have some fun things to share with you next weekend, too.  

Linking up with Great Peace Academy and:  

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shecki,
    I really love your hands on approach. I am so not very crafty but when I see these amazing temples and 3d replicas I want to give it ago. but I will just end up with a mess and no project. My son would love it but only if I DID most of the work ;)
    Thanks for Linking Up "This Week" at Great Peace Academy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice having *older* kids. I didn't do any of this nonsense when mine were all little. We had about a decade of boring workbook school, which I regret now, but I thought it was all I could manage at the time. "When you know better, you do better" right?

      Delete
  2. Looks like such a lovely, rich, curriculum for the week.

    Love the 3D models!

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! So glad you did, so I could find yours! It's wonderful. Have a very merry and blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete