A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Progress! Lukey Gets in Trouble!

The girls were playing with buttons in the school room the other day, and, well, they didn't get cleaned up.  


So Luke is laying around, tapping at them with the back of his fingers, and I think, "Let's see what you can do, there, big guy."


So I sat him up, and I piled on the buttons.  


It took him a while, but he finally managed to grab some.  


And then, wonder of wonders, they went into his mouth!  
Yeah, Lukey!


Now, I know you're thinking, "What mother calmly takes pictures while her kid shovels choking hazards in his mouth??"


But for as delayed as he is, this was really exciting.  


This was the FIRST TIME he's EVER picked up a non food object and put it into his mouth.  Ev-er.  2 years, 4 months old.  


They kept falling out, but I'm calling it a win, just from the experience angle.  


Pretty soon we're not going to be able to lay him in a pile of Legos and bitty Playmobil pieces and wander off.  ;)  I jest, but we totally could have 2 months ago.  

Celebrate with me!  

My Joy-Filled Life
Wise-Woman-Builds


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

29 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I never thought I would celebrate mischief. :)

      Delete
  2. Wooohooo! Great work, Luke! Yay for progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! This is such a fun thing to celebrate! I bet you can't wait to tell his therapists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he has feeding therapy on Thursday, and Miss Karen will be excited for him. :)

      Delete
  4. I love Luke updates. I was just thinking how long it had been since we had one. I am not sure if you have already seen this movie, but Netflix had a documentary 'Somwhere Between". It is about teenage girls that had been adopted from China, their coming of age and how they dealt with everything.
    Thank you for the Luke update and congrats on his progress! Jen d.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We helped sponsor the production of Somewhere Between, so we have it on DVD. :) I did a review after we saw it in the theaters here: http://grtlyblesd.blogspot.com/2013/01/somewhere-between.html

      Delete
  5. This brought tears to my eyes. He is making progress, Shecki! That is AWESOME and such a praise!! You go Luke!!! We are cheering in SD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) His therapists were excited for him today.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hoping it's the first of many exciting milestones.

      Delete
  7. That is an awesome development! Great going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your family updates! Thank you for allowing us to share your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being a part of it, Stacy. I so appreciate the support!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I loved seeing this! God is good! Rejoicing with you!

    Warmly,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. :) It's comforting to have Crew with me as I'm treading in uncharted waters.

      Delete
  10. Awesome! But I'm looking at this post...saying Yikes. I am glad that he is putting things in his mouth - but yikes for Mom. Now, you have to watch him like a hawk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His feeding therapist said the same thing today. I'll be in big trouble if he ever learns how to crawl.

      Delete
  11. Aaaah! He reminds me so much of Zhou Zhou. It was at least 18 months from when we brought him home that we didn't have to worry at all about anything (including food) going into his mouth voluntarily. It is such a strange feeling to rejoice over choking hazards and naughtiness! Praying for Luke to overcome all the obstacles and keep you on your toes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is so adorable, I'm new to your Family here, so I'm doing a lot of catch up reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Job Luke!! Still waiting on the big update (lol) I hope everything is going great....I pray for Luke often! Ann C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had anything big to update, I would. I'm hoping to try taking pictures of him again this weekend, though, (I bought frame ornaments for his therapists) so I'll share those.

      Delete
  14. Oh that IS exciting! I'm new here so pardon this question...have you checked out sensory diets to help encourage him to explore and have you checked out Montessori for the 0-2 yrs? The materials are created to encourage development of muscles and such. You can easily diy the materials. Or convert other things to meet the same concept. As that's what I did with my kiddos. Congrats Luke!
    ~Honey

    ReplyDelete