A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

What I've learned from doing reviews


Lately, I have been thinking about how the blog has morphed into A Thing all on it's own.  A year ago, it was basically an adoption blog, with various family life bits thrown in.  Now, it's something else.

I got into doing reviews for the Homeschool Review Crew, and discovered that I really liked it.  Then I was in the right place at the right time to do a book review, and found that I like that, too.  (And seriously?  Authors are cool people.  I like working with authors.)

Being involved with a community of bloggers, I've gotten exposed to more tips and ideas than I would have on my own.  You may have noticed my mad PicMonkey skillz have evolved as I learned to create "pinable images" for reviews so they can spread on Pinterest.

I've started using Paul's Good Camera more, for better quality pictures.  I haven't taken the time to learn how to really do amazing things with it, but the photos it takes are so much nicer than my point and shoot that I try to wait until it's here to do product shots for reviews.

I've developed my own little system for keeping track of when reviews are due.  It's slowly evolved from a couple of post-its on the bottom of my computer screen.

I like getting packages.  Lots of packages.  A good mail day is when I get something I ordered, something I won, and something to review.  Nice variety.  (I do a lot of online shopping, because I don't like taking the kids all out shopping with me, believe it or not.)

I've discovered there are a lot of interesting products out there.  And that my family are generally good sports about weird requests.  They'll let me take pictures of silly things, and they'll try stuff out and tell me what they think about it.  They've learned to ask before they get into something new.  "Hey mom?  Is this for a review?"

I've learned that bloggers are a community.  Reading, following, supporting other bloggers is a good thing.  It doesn't take anything away from you.  Rather, it allows you all to grow.

I'll never be a "big" blog, but I like writing, and this gives me an outlet and a way to exercise my brain and people/professional skills.  I appreciate you, my readers, and I hope to strike a pleasing balance of posts on family, reviews and giveaways, and homeschooling.


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

4 comments:

  1. It is fun getting packages, isn't it? Typically, I don't order anything, but I do love getting things that I have won or that I get to review.

    Reviewing is such a great opportunity. You are doing something for the betterment of the community. No matter how big or small your blog is - you are doing a great job, Mama! I so love reading your reviews and learning about new products.

    Off to click on your top mommy blog button.

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I'm so glad our paths crossed! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Meg! Your comment was removed by accident!

      Delete