A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Knowing Vera

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.


Another winner from author Rachelle Ayala!  Remember last month when I reviewed Hidden Under Her Heart?  Awesome book.  Knowing Vera is also a great read, but surprisingly different, although we do meet some of the same characters within it's pages.  I actually expected Knowing Vera to be similar, as some authors go for the familiar.  Knowing Vera was racier, and more suspenseful.  During the first third of the book she does a great job of capturing the awkwardness of the interactions between two people who have been physically intimate, yet really don't know each other very well, and are too afraid to communicate openly.

The author's descriptions are so vivid they make you ache for the characters.  "I can hear the cracking of my heart, splintering like the mast of a floundering sailboat."  

I like the way you're kept guessing about the motives of various characters throughout the book.  Is this person a good guy or a bad guy?  Who really committed the decades old murder that has come back to haunt Vera?

Steamy romance, mystery, kidnapping, murder, international travel, and more.  This book has it all, and yet presents it all in a very believable way from Vera's scared, insecure, yet strong first person perspective.

The explanations at the end of the book leave you hoping that she'll someday write a prequel (a la V.C. Andrews) explaining the story of Vera's mother, father, and uncle.

Knowing Vera is a good book that will be hard for you to put down.  The book also includes two of Vera's authentic Filipino recipes at the end!  

You can connect with author Rachelle Ayala via her blog, Twitter, or Facebook page, and you can also sign up for her newsletter!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm glad you're interested in the parents' romance too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great working with you! I love your books! :)

      Delete