A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Art Project: Tomb Walls


This is our second very cool project from Art In History.  This one is called King Tut Tomb Frieze.  You may remember last month when I posted about our fabulous Canopic Jars.  They still really love those!  


Here, Eli has mixed his base color and is sponging paint on.


We've got our Bach story and music going in the background on Brianna's Hello Kitty CD player.


After the base layer, there's a lot of detail work.  The kits include an access code to a lesson plan, which has a key of actual hieroglyphics, so you can write whatever you want up at the top (most kids choose their name, I would guess).   


Eli chose to fill in the brown first and then do the detail work.


Bri stuck tacks into the table (grr!) and hung hers off them.  


Realizing that the detail work was going to be really hard with a paintbrush, I found Jack a black permanent marker, which worked MUCH better.  I wish it had been an even finer point.  I think a set of 3 sizes of black markers would have been ideal for this project.  


Eli somehow managed to get almost as much paint on himself as the project.  
 

He had an oops with his hieroglyphics, and it turned into a blotchy mess at the top, which was disappointing.  I would say the skill level for this (at least with just paints, as opposed to markers) is on the higher end.  I don't see an age range for them on the website, but homeschoolers rarely listen to age ranges, anyway, since we know our kids and can guess what they can handle.   


Not sure what Jack's face is all about, but here you can see the 3 projects all together.  Brianna's (artistically inclined, age 13,) on the top Eli's (age 12) in the center, and Jack's (age 9) on the bottom--but done with a black marker as well as black paint.  

Our final two projects from Art In History are Greek and Persian, so we won't be getting to them quite yet, but I'm looking forward to them when we get there.  These have been a great supplement for Creation to the Greeks (our base homeschool curriculum this year, from My Father's World).  I see some I know I want to get for next year (Rome to the Reformation), as well.  

Linking up with:  


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

8 comments:

  1. Haha, tacks in the table would be a big no no here! If there isn't paint on someone they didn't have fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it was just a plastic table, and not the dining room table that was my grandmother's! I'd have been Seriously Displeased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That looks like such fun. I do not home school the girls but I do try to pre-teach them as much as I can. I got such great ideas from this post. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many projects, I'm sure that you could find one you would enjoy "just because" or for a special treat. :)

      Delete
  4. They turned out really great! I'm quiet impressed. The drawings are amazing!

    What a very cool project! It looks like this wouldn't work so well in my house - I can just tell, but I would love to do it. it is so cool. If the kids were just a bit older, this would have been fantastic last year when we were studying the Ancient Egyptian Empire.

    What a cool project Shecki. Thank you so much for linking up with us at the homeschoollinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for hosting! :) They have a lot of other projects, too, so you'd probably find something that catches your eye for this year.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your art with us in the last Virtual Fridge in 2013. You have been featured this week on the Virtual Fridge. Please email me and I will send you a I was Featured button :)
    Check your feature here:
    http://everybedofroses.blogspot.com/2014/01/virtual-fridge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I got the perma link wrong. This is the correct one http://everybedofroses.blogspot.com/2014/01/picasso-cubist-inspired-art-virtual.html

      My email is
      everybedofroses {at} hotmail (dot) com

      Delete