A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Super Easy Ornament Craft


I recently found myself roaming the aisles of Hobby Lobby alone.  It's such a rarity, I almost didn't know what to do with myself!  


I found these little wooden blanks and thought it would be fun to decorate them with the kids.  We've done similar crafts before, painting nude woodies.  We even made a really great apple wreath one year!  (You can *almost* see it over the computer in front of Sam?)


I put out the blanks, the glue bucket, some glitter, some random bits from the sewing room, ribbons, craft paint, and asked Bri to contribute some jewels.  Then I sat down and started our read-aloud, knowing it would be better for me to let them do their own thing than to hover and over-direct them.  


Brianna hits her tree with some glitter glue.


Hey, look, there's a better shot of the apple wreath over Sam's head!  Each of my students that year ('07-'08) painted their own apple and wrote their name on it, and I wrote our school name and the year on the bottom apple.  I "cheated" and glued all the apples to a paper plate that I cut the middle out of.  Easier than easy, and I love it as a keepsake of who we homeschooled that year.  


But back to the trees and the people.


Each child got to make two ornaments.  MY plan was for them to each make a tree and a gingerbread man.  


They weren't aware of my plan, so Bri made two trees, and Jack made 2 guys.


Today, we finally got around to putting ribbon hangars on the back so the kids could put them on the tree.  


Super easy, and a fun keepsake for the kids to look back on someday.  


Don't forget to write names and the year on the back!  

parents as teachers

Lovely Ladies Linky


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment